Question about replacing seals on 148 jet drive (1996 SL700)

First, let me say thanks to GreanHulk for a great source of information! I've found answers to most all of my questions and even answers to questions that I didn'trealize that I should be asking.

I'm in the process of replacing the jet drive bearings and seals on my 1996 SL700. So far no big surprises and everything is working out as described in the shoip manual and the technical articals/video's which I found here.

Everything has been torn down, cleaned and inspected and I've got a rebuild kit from SBT ready to go. The bearing installation seems straight forward but I have a couple of questions about proper seal installation.

1. How firm or loose should the seals fit in the housing? Right now they can easily be pressed into position with my fingers. They are neither loose or press fit, just a realtatively smooth fit easily inserted and removed. My Clymer manual says to press the seals into the bore using driver that fits between the inner and outeredges of the seal. The term "driver" implies, to me, that some force will be needed. However, my seals (and the one's I removed) don't really require special effort to take in and out.

Am I wrong, or doesn't the seal rotate with the impellar shaft? If so, then the fit can't be too tight or the seals would burn up.

2. How much grease should I use when instaling the seals? Just pack both seals level and then stack them together in the bore until they rest on their ledge above the bearing? No grease in the cavity between the bearings and no extra grease in the seal cavity?

3. What is the proper orientation of the seal spacer? My spacer is smooth, no pits, dings or rough spots. However, the surface does have a mild contour with a small smooth valley towards the center of the spacer (see pic). It seems to be slightly off center so one side has a little wider sealing surface the the other end. Which way should this spacer be oriented?

Thanks in advance for any advise given.

Larry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000005.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	291538  

Banned User
    +1
    I like to put as much grease as I can between the 2 seals. They do not spin with the shaft. That collar can go in either way, there is no right or wrong.

Thanks for the correction on the seal movement and the advice on packing in the grease.

Since the seals are designed to stay stationary with the housing shouldn't I expect the seals to press fit firmly in place?

Larry

Banned User
    +1
    They should be somewhat firm but not too tight. As long as they won't spin in the housing they should be fine.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Premium2000 View Post
    Thanks for the correction on the seal movement and the advice on packing in the grease.

Since the seals are designed to stay stationary with the housing shouldn't I expect the seals to press fit firmly in place?

Larry
    The friction between the seals and the spinning shaft should be very minimal. Therefore there should not be much torque on the seals and they should not move by themselves.

Obviously if you are concerned that the seals are just too loose to stay put, then perhaps another set of seals would be worth trying. These are fairly generic seals and should be findable at other sources.

That spacer can go in either way. If you can feel a groove worn smooth into the Metal, then you may want to install it reversed so there is a fresh metal surface for the seal lips to ride on. Make sure the spacer is indeed completely smooth and has no nicks or other imperfections which could damage the seals.

Both new seals and the removed seals seem to fit with the same effort so I guess that's the way they are designed to be. The outer edge of the old seals don't show signs of any wear or friction burn so a light fit must be correct.

Just out of curiousuty, does the seal collar stay stationary or does it rotate with the impellar shaft. It it's stationary then it seems that the shaft o-ring must have hard duty. On the other hand, if the collar rotates then the seal ID surface does the job.

Regarding the amount of grease for the seals. If I pack in more than than what iti takes tofill the seal cups should the extra go between the seals or between the outer seal and the impellar?

Thanks,

Larry

Banned User
    +1
    WHen you tighten the impeller it clamps the seal collar against the the shaft. It spins inside the seals with the impeller.

Now I understand how it works, makes sense.

BTY, I just went back and watch the video on impellar removal and housing inspection. I noticed that the outer most seal, in the video, seemed not to have any grease in the cup of the seal once the impellar was removed. I can see how the grease in the inner seal might stay in place but I was wondering how the grease associated with the out seal could keep from flushing away.

Larry

Thread Information