New Ski - Help Me Decide

That time of the year when boat shows are all around. My local dealer has a couple leftovers that I am interested in, and would appreciate any input from the forum. My primary needs for this ski are rough water performance and top end speed. That being said, these are some of my options.

1 .2012 Sea Doo GTX 215hp, price 11,500
    2. 2012 Sea Doo GTX 260hp, price 15,000
    3. 2012 Kawasaki 300X , price 12,800
    4. 2011 Kawasaki 300LX, price 12,600

Any opinions and pros/cons are appreciated. Thanks.

+1
    IMO, it comes down to if you plan on modding or not. When you say top end speed, what do you mean? Rough water top end speed, or Flat water top end speed? If you are riding a lot of chop, then the 300 Kawi is probably the best option. However, be advised that you have to run quality fuel, and it requires quite a bit more maintenance than the SeaDoo does. If you want achieve top speed, and you plan on modifying the boat, then I would pony up for the GTX 260. Again, everyone would like to have both rough water performance and top end speed. Practically speaking though, you will need to decide which is more important. Also, the price for the GTX 260 seems a bit high for a leftover to me. I would do some more shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by jsiouan View Post
    IMO, it comes down to if you plan on modding or not. When you say top end speed, what do you mean? Rough water top end speed, or Flat water top end speed? If you are riding a lot of chop, then the 300 Kawi is probably the best option. However, be advised that you have to run quality fuel, and it requires quite a bit more maintenance than the SeaDoo does. If you want achieve top speed, and you plan on modifying the boat, then I would pony up for the GTX 260. Again, everyone would like to have both rough water performance and top end speed. Practically speaking though, you will need to decide which is more important. Also, the price for the GTX 260 seems a bit high for a leftover to me. I would do some more shopping.
    Thanks for the input. I plan on leaving the ski in stock form. I've had 3 or 4 Sea Doo's over the years, so I'm somewhat curious to try out a Kawi product. I've read nothing but positive reviews of their rough water capabilities, and having that 300hp would be a nice bonus.

+1
    Hello, it must be nice to have your problem HaHa .... meaning enough $$ to afford a new ski ! However, all are good choices but all the prices or last year close outs sm to me a little high for US locations ... you should get free trailer and goodies if you pay those numbers. Good luck and let us know which way you go

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Besides a Speed Delimiter, the stock 300x can't be beaten. Yes, you need premium fuel, but that's a small price to pay for the overall performance. It will run the hardest and fastest of any other stock (delimited) ski in all water conditions.

Good luck.

Mal.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Test ride them to see which you prefer, for sure!

IMO if you're debating whether you should get a 300, don't even bother with the GTX 215.

+1
    Mountain Motorsports in GA is advertising 2 2012 300x with a $3000 discount off retail. Not sure where you are but a very good price. 770-761-4800
    If you have Facebook here is their ad
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

+1
    Definitely check out the new Yamaha FX-SHO,
    extremely reliable, 87 octane fuel, low maintenance, you'll love the ride in the chop and the massive 1812 cc powerplant (largest displacement in the industry); plus we have folks on the forum already pushing them past 80 mph.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    He wants to keep it stock. But yes the FX SHO is another option. We when run in chopping water it's usually 300x 1st, RXP-X 260 2nd then the others are all pretty even (the RXP-X 260 is typically better in rough water than the RXT/GTX hull).

Cheers.

Thread Information