Newbie with many questions

Hey all, New to the forum, I have a few questions regarding the 87' js550 I just picked up, 1st question being about the choke, my js300 is a cable, the js500 on the other hand has a nob you pull but on the other side of the fiberglass it has 2 miniature fuel lines that go to the carb ?? 2nd question is I have a switch on top of the hull, think the guy called it a manual water pump?? whats that mean? 3rd questions, I cannot get the fuel selector (on/res) to turn to the res spot??? what can I do? (note the randomly placed bolt). It was running and looked good, but the more I looked the more flaws I saw, I have a new pole,turf and paint on the way, also I believe the oil pump was bypassed, but does anyone have a diagram to how it should be set up, AND for the life of me whats the best way to get the busted bolts out of the pole mount ??? Thanks very much for all the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image(2).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	291618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image(1).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	291617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image(3).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	291619   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	291620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	291621  

+1
    Welcome aboard, Killer!

The button with the two hoses that go to the carbs is called a primer. Good thing to have because it works better than a choke. Pump the knob in and out until you feel it fill with fuel, then give it one more shot. The engine should start instantly. After it starts, you may have to pump it once or twice more until the engine's fuel pump starts working.

The switch is for a bilge pump to drain water from the hull if it develops a leak (driveshaft seal, split cooling hose, etc.). Good thing to have.

Don't know about the fuel selector, I'd try spraying the shaft with penetrating oil and letting it soak for a day. Work it gently, don't force it or you might break it.

As far as the broken bolt, the simplest thing to try is drilling it out with LEFT HANDED drill bits. Start with a small bit, drill slowly so it doesn't get off-center, then work up to larger bits. Others may suggest EZ-outs, but they generally suck because they expand the bolt, making it tighter in the hole.

if you can't get the fuel selector nob to move it might be gunked up. I would suggest bypassing it and just run a new fuel line from the reserve pickup to the carb.

Quote Originally Posted by vshockey10 View Post
    if you can't get the fuel selector nob to move it might be gunked up. I would suggest bypassing it and just run a new fuel line from the reserve pickup to the carb.
    Thanks for the replies, I had to take the electric box out, I noticed that the fuel selector is connected to what looks like a 1 line that piece that turns into 3, BUT there is no hose connected ??? maybe it was already bypassed ??
    I have attached a picture for ref.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqYOKp0E1rEgt(D(BNdlnZLQ!!~~_12.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	292800  

+1
    Should be a Main and Reserve lines going in, the Outlet goes to the fuel pump (carb).

Thread Information