St. Louis, MO

Question Please Help Me with my Polaris Virage TXi & Genesis i

I was just given this 2002 Virage TXI 1200 Direct Injection model #W0251980 along with a 2001 Polaris Genesis 1200 which this one is fuel injected instead of the Virage which is Direct injection. I could not be any newer to these things.

My cousin just got angry one day cause he got tired of putting money into them and I talked him into giving them to me and the brand new double trailer. They look great.

He had just had the Virage motor rebuilt early this past summer. Everything worked at the shop but the minute we got it to the lake, they started having issues with this one sinking. So the Virage can not sit still without starting to sink. That is when I got this one.

I checked the plugs and they were in so I have no idea what to do with that issue. The only other issue I noticed with this one is I strongly believe the starter is out. When you try to start it, it just gives a real quiet winding noise. You can tell the starter is not making contact. Any ideas?

Is this what you think it is as well and where could I get it from and is there just a certain part of it I need to get or what. Again, I am sooo sorry for all the question but this is the first water crafts I have ever owed.

Now on the 2001 Polaris Genesis 1200 fuel injection model # W01599D. This one sounds like it wants to start but wont. I followed the power to the brain box but could not find any power coming back out of it. To make sure, I even pulled a spark plug to make sure there wasnt a spark and their wasnt.

The brain box showed water damage inside of it and all the visible fuses were all fried. After driving for hours, I realized that I was not able to find the exact fuses but was given some that were similar.

Got back home and after a few, it actually started. I did not run it long cause I was afraid I would burn it up so I quickly turned it off. After that I have never gotton it to start again.

That is when I got an electric tester and followed the power down to see where it stopped and it was in the brain box. How should I go about fixing this one? You think I should start with the coil packs since I was told by the druck neighbor thats what he would do? lol. Im afraid to listen to him.

Pppplllleeeaaasee Help me figure this out cause I for one dont have much money and for two, I could not find anyone to work on the damn things. I see why my cousin was upset with these but I can not let them go to waste. He even signed the title to the jetskis and brand new trailer to me. Any advice on what you think would be causing ANY of these issues would be very much appreciated!!!

This is my first time being on this site so please let me know if this is the right spot for my questions. Thanks
    Last edited by K447; 02-02-2013 at 09:01 AM.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    Rochester, New York

There is either carb'ed or Direct injected. There is no "fuel injected" (sometimes the terms are used interchangeably). So I assume both are direct injected.

Click the link in my signature for all the troubleshooting/repair info you need. When you have some specific questions, let us know!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Welcome to the Hulk

There is indeed a lot you will need to learn about these machines. The links in my signature will lead you to a lot of useful info.

Not only must you diagnose and correct whatever the immediate problems are, you must also review, check and maintain everything else. Even if they have been well maintained in the past, reliability only comes from actually checking and doing the maintenance.

These machines are not young anymore. I have a Virage TXi myself. It has become a reliable and fun ride, but it does require an investment in time and energy to get it there.

Now for some questions.

While there is a possibility of getting both machines repaired and fully operational, there is also a real chance that one or both will require some significant money to repair. Do you want to keep both of these, or eventually sell one or both?

The Virage that wants to sink. Did it in fact ever sink? How much water has been inside the engine compartment? Has any water gotten into the air intake of the engine itself?

If there is water inside the engine then that is a big issue. If the engine is still dry inside then perhaps just the starter motor or Bendix gear needs replacing.

The Genesis i, like your Virage TXi, has Ficht Direct Fuel Injection. You can tell by the fist sized fuel injectors mounted squarely on top of each of the three cylinders, right on top of the engine. Carburetor engines instead have the spark plugs sticking straight up from the top of the engine.

On a Ficht engine, the actual 'brain' box is called the EMM. The Engine Magagement Module is separate from the electrical box. On the 2002 Virage it is tucked up under the steering, right behind the front storage area and above the fuel tank.

If the electrical box has corrosion or rust inside, that is a problem. It needs to be properly cleaned up. If there is a terminal board with corrosion that should be changed to a new one or good used one.

The 2002 Virage TXi does not have an electrical box. Instead, the various modules are simply connected into and strung along the wiring harness.

In addition to the large EMM module mounted in the hull, there will be an LR Start/Stop module on the Virage. I think the Genesis also has an LR module, located inside the electrical box.

Your Genesis also has PERC electric reverse, if memory serves. The reverse system gets powered up when the engine starts. It also gets power when you hold the Bilge button down on the handlebars.

Be careful with the battery connections. Never connect the wires in reverse polarity to the battery. Always disconnect the battery negative wire (Black) before messing with the electrical system. Reconnect it just when you need to do some actual measurements. Do not let any tools or metal parts touch the posts on top of the battery accidentally.

Thread Information