Boat show suggestions

Newbie here doing my research of new models at the boat show. Narrowed the search down to the GTR, GTI SE, or the Yamaha VXR. They seem to offer the best performance for my price range. My current ride is a 2001 Sea Doo RX-DI w/the 951 engine. I've had it for many years and enjoy the speed and playful ride but hours are up there and just feel a good time to join the big boys. My question is how much horsepower or which model do you think would be most comparable for ride and speed over what I have now? The speedometer on my RX-DI hits 70mph, but I've read enough of this forum to know that's inflated. I've never GPS'd, any good estimates how fast that really was? I don't want to spend money now to go slower, any suggestiongs on which model will best replace without breaking the bank?

Riding will be on mostly calm Minnesota lakes 5 months of the year, then expensive freezer space in the garage

+1
    your 01 RX di ski would run about 60 mph on GPS here in Michigan in perfect conditions.

If I was looking for a replacement ski, I would be looking at a used 08+ 215/255 RXT/RXTX-- best bang for your $$. $9-10K and you will have your pick of the best 1's out there.

Banned User
    +1
    Go for the VXR. 65 MPH out of the box and not hard to get to 70

+1

Re: Boat show suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    If I was looking for a replacement ski, I would be looking at a used 08+ 215/255 RXT/RXTX-- best bang for your $$. $9-10K and you will have your pick of the best 1's out there.
    And now let's talk about the new models that he was actually asking for opinions about.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by @JC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    And now let's talk about the new models that he was actually asking for opinions about.
    Did you not read the original post? None of those options were listed.

+1
    Dont go for the GTI SE, it wil be slower than your RX DI...Got with either the VXR or the GTR....VXR doesnt have trim so it can be a rough ride in rough water...I havent ridden a GTR yet so I cant give you an opinion on that, but if it is like the GTI but faster, it will be a good boat...

+1

Re: Boat show suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Dont go for the GTI SE, it wil be slower than your RX DI...Got with either the VXR or the GTR....VXR doesnt have trim so it can be a rough ride in rough water...I havent ridden a GTR yet so I cant give you an opinion on that, but if it is like the GTI but faster, it will be a good boat...
    I agree that he should look at either the GTR or VXR/S. My lake neighbor and I went down to the MSP boat show on Thursday and looked around. I tried to talk him into a Yamaha but he already has an 08 RXP so he's sticking with a new Doo. Either way would be a nice choice though, the VXR doesn't have a supercharger or fancy electronics but it's quick and the GTR has brakes, trim etc.

At the show I'd recommend St Boni Motorsports, ask for Corey he's not a bullshitter and will treat you right, I bought my FZS from him. They did have 2 '12 GTR holdovers when I was there but may not anymore, Good luck.

Appreciate the responses, I figured 60+ mph range was where I am and would like to be new. I have been looking at craigslist but not a lot of activity this time of year. I did find a local FZS, like you have JC, that caught my eye. '09 with 52hrs - $8500 decent deal (http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...559757895.html). My issue with buying used that price is your not too far off from new, lower model of course. I'm heading down to the show this afternoon, I'll look up Corey!

+1
    Let us know what you find!

+1
    Do a search or look up my name and see posts. Vxr and Gtr have been debated before. Ive ridden both and like the GTR better, why? Speed and thrill, trim, storage space and gauge layout and options. The VXR is a vx (used as rentals) with a bigger motor. Its cheaper to maintain but its so basic. GTR more bang for the buck. Both handle well, except GTR better in chop. You get beat on a VXR. Sit on them both at the show and look em over.

Thread Information