Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1995 Polaris SLT 750 Stops and then starts again stops and starts again....

Hey Guys -

Wondering if anyone has run into this - and if so - could please lend me a hand.

A buddy and I just put an '95 SLT 750 back together - cleaned carbs, triple fuel pump, oil bypass, new fuel lines, checked compression (good), and took it out to test it. We've got a bit of adjusting on the idle, but other than that love the ski. One problem. When I took it up the river, it ran almost 3/4 throttle then stopped. Stopped like someone turned it off. It immediately started back up and ran again for about 5 mins, then bam! shut off again. Started back up immediately without hesitation. Doesn't make sense. Cracked open the ECM box and fuze for the MFD is good and all the connections are like factory. Checked the battery cables and both positive and negative are tight.

It started immediately after every time. When it stopped, I thought the motor was locked up - that's how abrupt it stopped.

At this point - I have no idea...

Any help could be greatly appreciated.

John

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Could be mechanical hot seize. Is the cooling system 100% good?

Have the pistons or cylinders been changed?

Pistons tested good compression on all three. Can't say that they were changed or not. Seems odd that it stopped but then fired up fine within seconds of stopping. Possibly plugged cooling line?

+1
    I had this same issue on my 94 SLT but it wouldnt start right away, it would sit for a few seconds then start. it had lost oil to a cylinder, possibly a sticking cylinder...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by piatkowski6 View Post
    Pistons tested good compression on all three. Can't say that they were changed or not. Seems odd that it stopped but then fired up fine within seconds of stopping...
    You may need to pull off the cylinder heads and inspect the cylinders.

If the engine has replacement pistons that are too tight in the cylinder bores, the pistons will expand when they get hot (which is entirely normal operation) and can bind inside the cylinders. It only takes a piston being a few thousands of an inch too tight to create a hot seize problem.

The symptoms of a hot seize are similar to what you describe. Engine stops suddenly, then within a few seconds it will crank and restart.

Lack of oil can cause a similar seize symptom as the excess friction binds the piston inside the cylinder.

If you do remove the cylinder heads and post clear photos of the cylinder walls from each cylinder, it might be easier to tell what is going on. Be sure to rotate the crank so that each piston is at BDC for each photo.
    Last edited by K447; 02-02-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Running premix - do I up the oil concentration or is it a function of new pistons?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by piatkowski6 View Post
    Running premix - do I up the oil concentration or is it a function of new pistons?
    if the pistons are too tight, the oil ratio won't fix it.

If the problem is mechanical, then the fix will be mechanical.

It could be an electrical problem which is shutting down the engine. Up to you to decide how you want to proceed. Pulling the cylinder heads will show you if there is an issue with the pistons in the cylinders, or not.

Banned User
    +1
    If the pistons are too tight, and not damaged, which isn't likely if you are sticking them, honing the cylinders out to the proper diameter and new rings would be a fix. Otherwise I would bet it needs new pistons with properly sized cylinders. I can't think of anything else that could cause your issue though.

Smile

Thanks for the help! For the time and effort - I'll pull the water rail and open up the cylinders to take a look at the pistons. Worst case scenario is that I have another $300+ in new pistons and honing of cylinder walls.

I'm sure once I get those cracked open - it's just a guess until then.

I'll keep ya posted and sincerely - THANK YOU!!

Banned User
    +1
    Post pics of the cylinders when you get it open. Im sure it will all get figured out.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information