Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Possible engine failure vxr

So i have had my vxr for just over 2 months and it has 50.6 hours on the meter. Was traveling along today at full noise and it just stopped dead. The engine turns over like it has all spark plugs removed and of course it doesn't start. Impeller is Turning to so its obvious that the engine is turning over. What could cause this? No compression at all and any cylinder, well seemingly.
    No holes in the side of the motor and no oil in hull, no alarms went off and oil level is perfect. My closest dealer is a 4 plus hour drive away so I'm not looking forward to that.
    Do these n/a motors often fail? I haven't really heard of many engine failures in the newer yamahas... That's why I purchased one although I'm not shy on the throttle

+1
    So u have no compression or low compression and the impeller still turns but no oil in hull? Havent heard this before.... many members well over 100+ hours with no prob. All injector plugs installed spark plugs installed correctly ?cycle through on/off switch.... Did u check fuses? With plugs removed and engine turning over can u see if pistons are moving? Check all harness plugs. If not any of those i would say pack a lunch and head to the dealer.

Have not checked fuses or anything, I'm sure something's gone on inside that engine. If say a timing chain were to break surely the pistons would hit valves on these engines? Especially at 11:1.
    It's the only thing I can think of that would explain it. Still doesnt fully add up though.

+1
    Have u done any engine mods?

No mods mate.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    It does sound like the timing chain broke.........my wifes old car sounded like that when the timing belt broke.......it cranked really fast and didn't start........luckly they put factory dents in pistons to avoid them hitting

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    Don't waste any time looking for connection or anything like that,

Just do a compression test and that will tell you how bad it is / could be, then IF all is good just go to dealer and use the warranty you paid for

Not the first time I have heard of a vxr breaking a chain if it is that of course

Waz
    Can you tell me if any major engine damage occurs if this is the case? Like bent valves?
    The more I think about it the more I'm sure, it has to be that. Sure I ride it like I stole it but its stock. Wouldn't expect any issues that's why I got an N/A yam. Hope they don't take too long to fix it.

+1
    If you broke the timing chain and that what it sounds like then it probably bent valves and shredded the timing gears. be glad it broke wile still under warranty maybe you get a new engine.

Timing chain snapped, they are still investigating why it happened but have no idea. Yamaha say they have never seen one break before (Guessing they are only referring to Australia) dealership wants to put in new engine as they say it will have bent valves and who knows what damage to pistons...awaiting confirmation from Yamaha.
    Does anyone know of any confirmed reports of broken timing chains? I certainly havnt seen anything on the net about vxr engine failures, and hardly any 1800 failures full stop.

+1
    Its pretty rare for any timing chains to break...on anything.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information