Thread: New

New

Hi Guys
    I have a new Problem with coolant in oil:
    I pressure tested the system to the best of my ability. Iím a real novice at this engine trouble shooting stuff, Iím a respiratory therapist by trade. What I found is the system will not hold any pressure, so I pulled the engine AGAIN and checked the just the oil cooler. It seems to hold will hold 15lbs of pressure without dropping for a sustained period of time. I then put the engine back together again on my work bench and pumped a continuous stream of air into the overflow bottle while looking for air leaks. The way I did this was by using some smoke and looking for it to move around. I found the smoke being sucked in between the block and the gear cover up in area by the top of the water pump. What should I try next? Is there a way to determine whether the block or gear cover is warped? It would be devastating to find out the block is warped after having it bored and honed. Again thanks for all the good advice.

+1
    Hi Tim,

Not understanding smoke getting sucked in?

Pressurize the system and spray soapy water out of a spray bottle (dish washing liquid is fine) over the engine. this technique will give you visual indication of external leaks by blowing bubbles.

I have my compressor pushing air through the overflow bottle at a constant 12 psi. That 12 psi never builds up any pressure, what I’m finding is air leaking out the hose from the oil tank to the air box. I hope this tells me I have a leak in the seal of the water pump and the air flow from the water pump to the oil tank is pulling air through a bad gasket job on the front cover. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

+1
    That sounds logical. Your pressure is getting from the coolant system to the oil system and purging out the oil vapor recirc emission line.

Only crossings of those two systems would be oil cooler, which you replaced... the waterpump leaking into the sump which sounds like the culprit... or bad headgasket or crack in the block/head... which is less likely.

Sounds like you need to replace the waterpump shaft seal.

Cheers!

+1
    Ripcuda I agree. I came across a water pump seal recently in a Hydrospace that had been installed the wrong way round
    Last edited by Kosh; 02-06-2013 at 06:07 AM.

+1
    i think part of the seal is ceramic, and fragile...

Thanks for the input. I ordered a new water pump seal kit including the o-ring, I should have it sometime next week. I also skimped on the silicone gasket the first time I put the cover back on. I could not find the three bond 1215 so I just used locktite blue 587. What would be the gasket sealant of choice? Weber has the three bond 1211 but I did not see the TB1215. I want to make sure I get it done properly this time.
    Thanks again Tim

+1
    I use Three Bond 1211. Works great on the sump pan and should also on the waterpump cover too.

Let me know how easy it is to change out the waterpump seal. Because of your issues, I've decided to replace mine while I have my engine out and disassembled.

Cheers!

Ripcuda,
    Since you already have the engine out it is just a matter of removing the water pump cover and the impeller, you can then pull out the old seal and ceramic gasket. It should take you around 5 minutes.

Thread Information