Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How To: Change Old Grey VXR Gunwale To New 2013 VXR Black Gunwale

There is already a discussion thread on this subject in the performance section but being as I just completed this I figured I'll make a "How To".

What you will need to order...

Gunwale, Bow - item: F2N-U2511-20-00
    Gunwale, Side - item: F1K-U2512-20-00 (Make sure you get 2)
    Gunwale, Stern 1 - item: F1K-U251D-20-00
    Gunwale, Stern 2 - item: F1K-U251E-20-00

I ordered these pieces from www.yamahapart.com and received free shipping on orders over $50 USD.
    But you can also pick them up at http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=2230 to help support the forum not to mention Jerry's customer service is second to none!

Tool's you will need to have available...

• Power Drill
    • 3/16th Drill Bit
    • Phillips #2 Screw Driver
    • Allen Key Set
    • Pliers/Wrench
    • (40) 3/16 Rivets or Stainless Steel Bolts/Washers/Locking Nuts (See picture below for what I used)

Step 1: Is to remove the Bow Gunwale. To do this you will need the Allen key set, pliers/wrench. Remove the Allen head bolts while holding the retaining nut behind the gunwale with either the pliers or proper size wrench. There are 4 of these. 2 of them are to be removed and 2 are fixed into the gunwale. Remove the bow gunwale by pulling it back towards you. Once removed from the Waverunner you can slide the 2 fixed bolts out of it and put them into the new black piece. We will be reusing these bolts.

Step 2: Now you can slide out the middle inserts on the side gunwale. They remove by sliding them towards the bow of the ski either by hand or you can pull front he front with pliers. We will be reusing these so put them aside safely.

Step 3: Is to remove the Stern Gunwale sections. These are held in place by rivets so we must drill them out using the 3/16th drill bit attached to the power drill. The rivet dead center in back goes through both pieces so remove that one first, then drill out the rivets on Stern 2 (starboard side), remove that piece of gunwale. Next drill out the rivets from Stern 1 (port side) piece and remove that section of gunwale from the Waverunner.

Step 4: Drill out all rivets from both port and starboard side gunwales with the 3/16th drill bit. Remove both pieces of gunwale from Waverunner.

Step 5: Install both new black port and starboard side gunwale. You can either rivet or use stainless steel bolts. I chose the later as it will be easier to remove and replace down the road should I ever need too. These can be tricky as I noticed the pre-drilled holes in the new gunwale do not match up with the existing holes in the fiberglass. I started from the front and worked my way to the back.

Step 6: Install both new black Stern gunwales. Starting with Stern 1 (port side) piece first and then install Stern 2 piece (starboard side). Stern 2 over laps Stern 1 in the middle so it is important that you replace them in that order. I installed the rear bolts first followed by the side bolts last.

Step 7: Slide in both inner gunwale pieces that you set aside in step 1. Make sure they slide in smooth and reach all the way to the back of the Waverunner.

Step 8: Install new black Bow gunwale by pushing the 2 fixed bolts in first and then the slide through bolts on the outer edges. Tighten all 4 nuts.

Before and Afters:

Post any questions you may have in this thread and I will answer them asap - Thanks!
    Last edited by infamous; 12-08-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Added link to 4-Tec Store

+1
    Makes the whole ski, Excellent write up.

+1
    STUNNA, that is magnificent! Great work.

+1
    Huge difference, looks great.

+1
    Nice write up, thanks.

Do all the models come with black trim now?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by E.v View Post
    Do all the models come with black trim now?
    No. The only ones to my knowledge are the 2013 VXR, 2013 FZR/FZS, and 2013 FX SHO (non cruiser model)

Amazing work my friend

+1
    Thanks! Just changed out the rear grab handle too.

10. +1 by:

+1
    The black looks awesome. I would like to do the black gunwales on my FX SHO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information