Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    SHO/HO purchase help

    Hello,

    I am very close to walking into a dealer and buy one of these jet skis (just sold my honda f12x turbo). I am reading about the SC clutch issue with the SHO. Some postings on the net mentioned something about the SC clutch going out and damaging the engine. Is there any truth to it? Any other stupid issues with the SC? On my honda, it didn't have any issue except for the rust on the turbo. I had to yank the surrounding parts near the turbo so I could paint it.

    I have known a few owners with 2011 SHO that has over 150 hours without an issue. I am looking to get a 2012+ model. I do recreational riding and fish off the jet ski. I ride about 35-40 hours a year.

    Thanks for your advice.



    tntrac


  2. #2
    Yellow93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,429
    +1
    122
    The newest model SHO's have the 3rd generation clutch and idler and there have not been any failures so far that I have heard of, even in high hp use.

  3. #3
    YoYamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    21,570
    +1
    4,789
    If you had a problem, damaging the engine is not likely; it's not designed like the old Sea-Doo clutch with the imploding ceramic washers. We have almost 400 combined hours on our twin FZ's with the original clutches in both and zero issues. The new FX-SHO is a great ski, you will be hard pressed to beat it for reliability and like all the Yamaha SC models, it runs perfectly on 87 octane which is usually what you will find in fishing marinas on the water.

    Other models to consider would be the VXR and the FX-HO which will improve fuel economy and they have no supercharger. If you travel long distances in choppy water for fishing then I would go with the FX-HO for best fuel economy and ride comfort. Best thing is try and test ride them all and see what feels best to you in both smooth and choppy conditions. At only 40 hours a year, your Yamaha is probably not going to have any problems, but if you're worried you can get a 5 year Y.E.S. warranty for a few hundred bucks and relax.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    If you had a problem, damaging the engine is not likely; it's not designed like the old Sea-Doo clutch with the imploding ceramic washers. We have almost 400 combined hours on our twin FZ's with the original clutches in both and zero issues. The new FX-SHO is a great ski, you will be hard pressed to beat it for reliability and like all the Yamaha SC models, it runs perfectly on 87 octane which is usually what you will find in fishing marinas on the water.

    Other models to consider would be the VXR and the FX-HO which will improve fuel economy and they have no supercharger. If you travel long distances in choppy water for fishing then I would go with the FX-HO for best fuel economy and ride comfort. Best thing is try and test ride them all and see what feels best to you in both smooth and choppy conditions. At only 40 hours a year, your Yamaha is probably not going to have any problems, but if you're worried you can get a 5 year Y.E.S. warranty for a few hundred bucks and relax.

    Thanks for your response. I don't plan to modify my jet ski. Longest we gone fishing is to Catalina from Long beach and a few times at the Colorado river. So if the SHO can do 75 miles, it will be enough.

    A local dealer has two skis, 2012 FX SHO listing at $11999. Consider California tax at about 9%. Would $12K OTD be a good price?

  5. #5
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    16,708
    +1
    1,324
    If you arent too concerned with performance, the HO would be more than enough. If you want to go fast, go with the SHO.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    206
    +1
    7
    12k OTD including tax would be a decent deal if new. Make sure thats everything though and no hidden fees.

    E

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    3,846
    +1
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    The newest model SHO's have the 3rd generation clutch and idler and there have not been any failures so far that I have heard of, even in high hp use.
    Here is the answer guys------------------This was a running change in mid year 2012 production skis. So only the very late 2012 will have the new clutch/gear set up in them. Only 2012 serial numbers "Higher" than on this list will come with the new gear set, `09~12 FZR up to Primary ID # F2R806400
    `09~12 FZS up to Primary ID # F2C808500
    `08~12 FX SHO up to Primary ID # F2S803100 Remember your 2012 ski serial # must be higher than this to have the latest gear /idler set. Tommy Jordan

  8. #8
    Qlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lake Quivira KS.& Punta Gorda FL.
    Posts
    66
    +1
    8
    I just purchased a 2012 FX SHO manufactured 03/2012 with a serial number F2S804350, so I'm not sure about the "very late 2012" being the only ones with the new clutch.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    The newest model SHO's have the 3rd generation clutch and idler and there have not been any failures so far that I have heard of, even in high hp use.
    Here is the answer guys------------------This was a running change in mid year 2012 production skis. So only the very late 2012 will have the new clutch/gear set up in them. Only 2012 serial numbers "Higher" than on this list will come with the new gear set, `09~12 FZR up to Primary ID # F2R806400
    `09~12 FZS up to Primary ID # F2C808500
    `08~12 FX SHO up to Primary ID # F2S803100 Remember your 2012 ski serial # must be higher than this to have the latest gear /idler set. Tommy Jordan
    Very good information!!!


    Qlake, would you mine pm me what you paid for reference. I know we have different tax rates but just a reference.

  10. #10
    Qlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lake Quivira KS.& Punta Gorda FL.
    Posts
    66
    +1
    8
    I paid $11,267.52 including a cover and 5 year Y.E.S. warranty ($320.00) for a new 2012 FX SHO Cruiser, out the door but that did not include sales tax. I wanted to buy another one but no dealer would match the price or even come very close, so I bought a VXR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 08 FX HO GPS help...
    By adams in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-29-2016, 08:35 PM
  2. Need help with 2015 VXR/VXS vs. (2012-2015)FX HO purchase
    By Chaidell in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-10-2016, 01:25 PM
  3. fz/sho/ho confused
    By Bulldogs101 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-17-2008, 10:23 PM
  4. Need some stock RXT & RXT-X WOT speeds for purchase help
    By SRAMBlur in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 07:26 AM
  5. Purchasing Help- Good Price for a RXP-X
    By vidbuster in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 11:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •