Thread: New ski advice

New ski advice

Hi all.

This is a great site and looking for some advice from the community.

I'm from NZ and looking at buying my first ski. The main options in my budget are the following: -
    • 2000 ish seadoo gtx
    • seadoo xp - early 2000 or 2004 di
    • 2000 Yamaha gp1200
    • 2005 Kawasaki Stx 900
    • 2005 Kawasaki Stx-r1200
    The seadoo appeals due to closed loop cooling and looking at an older ski thinking there will be less issues. I won't be modding the ski as not very mechanically minded. I may carry out the minor maintenance so need something that is as reliable as possible. Understand all jet ski's require regular looking after and $$ but rather not get something that is in the shop more than the water!!

mainly used in the ocean with light chop and take out a biscuit or wakeboard occasionally. No rules here requiring a 3 seater for towing. Also no regulations on 2 stroke.

just want some advice on pros and cons of the models listed. Or any other ski's that I should be looking at.

thanks for your help.
    Adam

Banned User
    +1
    I think the Kawi Stx 1200 R is a very reputable ride for ocean riding.

+1
    Adam, yes there are still bylaws in NZ about the number required for towing therefore the size craft required (eg three seater - driver, spotter, and towee) however it generally isn't policed unless your in a high use area.
    How much are you looking to spend?

+1
    • 2000 ish seadoo gtx
    • seadoo xp - early 2000 or 2004 di

I’ve owned these 2 and they are VERY different machines. The XP is sporty and a fun ride for one. 2 is difficult at idle unless it’s 2 small people. The GTX is a 3 seater and very stable at idle compared to the XP. It is a full blown “couch”…stand on the side and it won’t tip.

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Adam, yes there are still bylaws in NZ about the number required for towing therefore the size craft required (eg three seater - driver, spotter, and towee) however it generally isn't policed unless your in a high use area.
    How much are you looking to spend?
    Well every day is a school day!!

I won't be riding at one of the big lakes so doubt there will be an issue with towing on a 2 seater.

As it's my 1st ski and the Mrs has finally agreed to let me get one I didn't want to go over the top so looking at between $4k & $6k as there seems like a lot of options but I would go higher if there was a good deal around.

There are a couple of XL 1200 and ZXi1100 on trademe. The XL seems like the family choice of 3 seater - is it still fun solo? Would the ZXi be comparable to an XP?

There will normally be 2 of us but will occasionally ride out on my own so would want something that is fun and not like driving a tank on the water. I'm sure the answer is to buy 2 ski's but that isn't an option!

Thanks for the advice so far.

+1
    Gp1200r or Kawasaki STXR-1200

After spending more and more time looking at other threads I'm considering increasing my budget and looking at a 4-stroke due to reliability & maintenance.

There are a few Sea-Doo GTX & GTI options which I may be able to stretch to - any opinions on these ski's?

+1
    Good choice stretching to a four stroke if you can, any of the N/A 4 strokes are generally reliable skis.
    I would also keep an eye out for a Kawasaki STX12 or 15F. They seem to be priced higher at the moment but come winter they will be closer to your price range.

Thanks for that

Was thinking of waiting until winter as more likely to grab a bargain.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillsy View Post
    Thanks for that

Was thinking of waiting until winter as more likely to grab a bargain.
    Yeah but you'll miss this whole up coming riding season. Maybe look at a new Stx-15f you can get them for $7500 or less. Brand new machine and they run 61 out of the box. Nevermind I forgot you are in New Zealand.

Thread Information