Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Intercooler/Throttle Body Advice

Well, when doing an oil change and PM on the relatively young RXP (less than 20 hours since rebuild), the throttle body stuck during the oil change. A little more exploration yielded corrosion products in the intercooler and the entrance to the throttle body. I guess the next logical step is a pressure test of the intercooler after cleaning, but just a quick question. In Texas, due to the draught it was a very high salinity year for water and air. The goo was mostly on the inlet to the throttle body, not so much on exit of the intercooler. But there was some liquid in the bottom of the intake manifold and some salt deposits in the intercooler. Is this normal for high salt inlet air, or not? The supercharger exit is dry and clean. Any advice on how much to investigate to ensure reliability would be appreciated. Thanks very much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	291916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	291917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	291918  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsdw View Post
    Well, when doing an oil change and PM on the relatively young RXP (less than 20 hours since rebuild), the throttle body stuck during the oil change. A little more exploration yielded corrosion products in the intercooler and the entrance to the throttle body. I guess the next logical step is a pressure test of the intercooler after cleaning, but just a quick question. In Texas, due to the draught it was a very high salinity year for water and air. The goo was mostly on the inlet to the throttle body, not so much on exit of the intercooler. But there was some liquid in the bottom of the intake manifold and some salt deposits in the intercooler. Is this normal for high salt inlet air, or not? The supercharger exit is dry and clean. Any advice on how much to investigate to ensure reliability would be appreciated. Thanks very much.
    Humidity along with the high salt content is what it looks like to me. Another possibility is if the output portion of the charger is clean then you may have a very small water leak going into the core so I would definately pressure test the intercooler. Just put an adaptor on it and hook it up to the water hose and youll see if there is a leak there. Let us know what you find. As far as the throttle body you could take it of the intake manifold and dip it in lime-away. When all the corrosion is gone, then you can re-lube all the ares and re-assemble it and it should be good to go.

+1
    More likely a bad OEM X- I/C you have there.

+1
    +1
    Shouldn't be any liquid in manifold.
    What year ic?

+1

Send that TB to rossnemo. He can bore it for you (and clean it up as well). You'll gain some accel and speed.

Would using fogging oil after each ride help?

Andy

+1

Gen 2 Riva. I purchased used from here and pressure tested before use.

+1
    I would pull out the intercooler and pressure test it again. I bet you will find a small leak in it.

+1
    Ok, all the advice makes complete sense. Is there anything else I need to look at to make sure I understand the full breadth of the problem? Not necessarily the cause. I think I know where to look there. But other water vapor damage to the ski. Supercharger??????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsdw View Post
    Ok, all the advice makes complete sense. Is there anything else I need to look at to make sure I understand the full breadth of the problem? Not necessarily the cause. I think I know where to look there. But other water vapor damage to the ski. Supercharger??????
    Charger should be fine, just make sure you clean everything out good. I still think the intercooler has a leak.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information