Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    oct6454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gig Habor, Washington
    Posts
    758
    +1
    8

    How high can u safely rev an 04 block with an upgraded VT

    Hey so I know at first it looks like the same question that gets asked all the time, but I'm asking this because of the oiling issue the older blocks have up at higher RPM's. I know they have been known to starve the rockers of oil at high RPMs but I have been unable to find what RPM this happens at and what is safe for a Stock 04 with the updated valves,springs, retainers etc. Oh and if you could explain why this oil starvation happens that'd be awesome!

    Thanks, Oliver


  2. #2
    83.0 @ 8400 jhill19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Teays Valley, West Virginia
    Posts
    2,800
    +1
    81
    what valvetrain upgrade? supertech or riva? you should be fine atleast to 8600. you could pull the head and remove the oil pressure jet and install an 06 rocker shaft.

  3. #3
    oct6454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gig Habor, Washington
    Posts
    758
    +1
    8
    Well, unless I can find some used ones for a discount I'd get the supertech. And I will be pulling the head this weekend because my HG broke. Is the oil pressure jet in the head and the rocker shaft the only difference? I'm not looking to spin 9k or anything crazy like that just wanna push a little farther with the x-charger

  4. #4
    Got Boost? psycho rxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Posts
    5,445
    +1
    182
    I run 9,200 with the rotax racing oil pressure jet, on my 05' and have been for the past year or so. No issues so far.

  5. #5
    RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,244
    +1
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by oct6454 View Post
    Well, unless I can find some used ones for a discount I'd get the supertech. And I will be pulling the head this weekend because my HG broke. Is the oil pressure jet in the head and the rocker shaft the only difference? I'm not looking to spin 9k or anything crazy like that just wanna push a little farther with the x-charger
    No its not the only difference. The oil galleries in the head to feed the rocker shaft are also different on the 06 and later heads. But theres no problem revving the 04-05 head to 8600. Did it for hours on end for 4 years with no problem. Just upgrade your valves, springs and retainers and go for it.

  6. #6
    oct6454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gig Habor, Washington
    Posts
    758
    +1
    8
    Alright sounds good, that's what I'll attempt to do.

  7. #7
    GasResearch-VT.SE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,172
    +1
    207
    When do the flywheel bolts come into play on these 04 motors?

  8. #8
    RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,244
    +1
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by GasResearch-VT.SE View Post
    When do the flywheel bolts come into play on these 04 motors?
    If the mag housing is off, then it is a good idea to upgrade the early style bolts to the later stretch bolts. The early style are stainless, silver in colour and the later are black bolts and when purchased come preloaded with thread lock and instructions on how to torque correctly. Cheap insurance.

  9. #9
    eb87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    South East Coast
    Posts
    566
    +1
    25
    I believe Jerry recommended upgrading the oil jet and changing the flywheel bolts in all pre 06 blocks as they are known week links.

  10. #10
    Sayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne AUS
    Posts
    2,300
    +1
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP244 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GasResearch-VT.SE View Post
    When do the flywheel bolts come into play on these 04 motors?
    If the mag housing is off, then it is a good idea to upgrade the early style bolts to the later stretch bolts. The early style are stainless, silver in colour and the later are black bolts and when purchased come preloaded with thread lock and instructions on how to torque correctly. Cheap insurance.
    I agree, if the Mag is slightly out its not going to last forever with that mass hanging out there.
    I sheered the newer bolts. I would go arp if I was already in there. A bit more insurance for a bit more cost.

    Did you balance yours when you built you race engine? Is anyone bothering to do this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How high can you spin stock springs with better retainers?
    By imp0ster in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-21-2013, 12:48 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 08:32 PM
  3. how high can these motors go (rpms) on stock valve train sho/fzr
    By wave15stx in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2010, 02:44 PM
  4. Can someone post a how-to on how to remove mikuni carbs from an xl800?
    By ctheodores in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 04:00 AM
  5. How much can I bend an SRX Concord?
    By pdxrealtor in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 12:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •