Question MSX 150 Wont start in water

G'Day,
    I have an MSX 150 that will run fine out of the water, but will not start when in the water. Please help!!!

You can start it on the trailer out of the water, and it starts and runs fine but when its in the water it wont start.
    I have started it on the trailer and then launched it and it runs but will only reach roughly 42mph (sorry not sure the revs) boost gauge was at about 2/3 while it was running with throttle fully opened. Acceleration is a little sluggish to this limited top speed. once you get back down to idle it will stall and will not Re start.

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction as there seems to be a lack of any mechanics with experience on these skis in Melbourne.

Thanks in advance !

+1
    Whats your compression.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Whats your compression.
    Compression is 132 and 130

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Give us some history about this machine.

New to you?

Has it ever run properly in your hands?

Has it ever been rolled over?

Is the battery VERY strong, or marginal?

See my signature links for some useful info.
    Last edited by K447; 02-08-2013 at 12:38 AM.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

You've come to the best place on the web to find info on the rare, one-year-wonder, only 4-stroke turbocharged Polaris PWC... the '04 MSX 110 and '04 MSX 150.

Start by following the "Click here" link in K447 signature and click over to the MSX 110/150 pages and start reading everything.

As K447 already asked... we need more info to help diagnose your issues.

Where's the oil on the dipstick?
    Is the "check engine" light flashing on the display?
    Pull the turbo to intercooler hose and check for oily gunk/foamy oil/etc in the hose and in the intercooler. See any?
    What spark plugs do you have in the engine?

Cheers!

+1
    i had the same problem on my ski.

just trying to remember what was the route cause... if at all possible check to see if the voltage across the battery drops significantly when cranking in water compared to on the trailer.

before i bought my old msx150, it had been to the dealer for this issue, and the dealer flashed the ecu, changed a map sensor and battery.

Hi Guys thanks for the help so far.

A little history. The ski was new to me last summer I only had the chance to take it out a couple of times last year and it was running fine. But I do recall getting check engine sometimes on last ride but it would start in water and run fine when no warning light. This season I had no spark and no fuel traced it back to the system ifb replaced that and then had fuel spark etc. ski started easy (on trailer) took it to the water and now have this problem.

It has a brand new battery and a new set of plugs BKR7E
    The ski has never been over not while I have had it ( perhaps I don't ride hard enough !! ) and no contamination in hoses.
    The check engine light is off.
    Oil is fine at operating temp.

Justin

+1
    Do a leakdown test.
    Even if the cranking compression shows good, if the rings / bore is worn out it will not start in the water.
    I realize this is a difficult test, but why waste your time checking other things if the internal components are foobar?
    http://www.weberpower.com/tools-webe...-test-kit.html

I have been adding tools & components to my site, and will have more in the next few months.

Best regards,
    Randy

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Weber Guy View Post
    Do a leakdown test.
    Even if the cranking compression shows good, if the rings / bore is worn out it will not start in the water.
    I realize this is a difficult test, but why waste your time checking other things if the internal components are foobar?
    http://www.weberpower.com/tools-webe...-test-kit.html

I have been adding tools & components to my site, and will have more in the next few months.

Best regards,
    Randy

If you have ever poked around on his site, I swear he has everything!!!!!!

Provided you have checked all the hose clamps in the intake path tight, a top speed of 42 and sluggish was about 5800-6000 rpm and 2/3 on the boost gauge when the boot on the underside of the throttle body on my 150 split. It was a small split but big enough for boost to leak. And I suppose if it was in the "right" position and big enough it might cause starting issues in the water. Check out this old post, its a free inspection: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1496398. The entire thread was good as well: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=132244

Thread Information