Unhappy 01 Virage TX - seized

had my 2001 Virage TX sitting outside my house for several months, while I replaced a few parts & did some gelcoat repairs.
    I've been starting it every few weeks until recently, due to the cold, wet weather.
    I fitted a new exhaust manifold a few weeks ago and fired it up, it ran perfectly.
    Yesterday I put the new battery on & went to start the ski - nothing but a click!
    Initially, I wondered if it might have been the impellor that could have seized up, so I removed the pump & impellor. I also removed the plugs & then tried to turn the motor over. Nothing but a click again. I've tried turning it by hand & the motor appears to be seized solid. I even tried to turn the motor by using a large adjustable spanner on the impellor shaft coupling, but that was no good either.
    I'm thinking that either the pistons or the crankshaft have seized up solid. I'm wondering how this could have happened over such a short time. I appreciate that the ski is oil injected with a 'dry' crankshaft, but surely, this should coat the internals with enough oil to prevent seizure?
    I know I'll probably end up having to remove the engine & strip it all down to find out for sure, but has anyone any advice on possible causes or fixes?
    Cheers

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    I would start by pulling the heads and seeing if there is any evidence of damage or rust on the visible portions of the pistons as pulling the heads is easy and quick.

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the help. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    It is possible the starter motor, or more likely, the Bendix gear has seized. If the Bendix is now jammed into the flywheel teeth, the crank shaft will not turn by hand.

Did you try putting a big wrench on the driveshaft coupler and turning the engine backwards, or rocking it both ways?

The Bendix is accessed by removing the flywheel cover. If it is indeed seized, the flywheel must be removed to get the Bendix out.

The starter motor comes out by sliding (with effort) it rearwards after removing the two rear mounting bolts. How you actually get your hands down there is the challenge.

Regarding storage and cold, wet weather. Rather than starting it every few weeks, just fog the engine thoroughly with 2-stroke engine fogging oil spray. Once well fogged, the fogging oil will stay in place and protect the engine internals. No need to even touch the engine during storage. Very common practice in places that have winter storage, and also common for salt water engines.

Thanks Keith,
    That makes a lot of sense. I'll try that first tomorrow before I go all gung-ho on the engine. I've got a strap wrench that should work better on the coupling, I'll try moving it backwards & forwards a bit to try to release it.
    If all else fails, the engine can be out in a couple of hours & I can look to see if the bendix is stuck from inside the flywheel cover.
    I'll keep you posted on the results.
    Thanks again.

Well, I had to bite the bullet. Engine out, ordered flywheel puller, got flywheel off, removed bendix - no problems there.
    So, I decided to look a little closer at the cylinders. It would appear that the centre piston is quite badly scored. So, I tried taking the cylinder off to investigate further. The piston is seized in the cylinder. I'm having a b*#ch of a job getting it out. I've had to leave some penetrating oil in the top of the piston & hopefully, tomorrow, I'll be able to split the cylinder off!
    I've enquired locally about getting the cylinder rebored, as with piston damage like this, it's fair to say that the cylinder will be shot too.
    Then I'll be looking at getting a new piston and going from there.
    I'll put a shout in the fs/wanted section, to see if anyone's got a cylinder & piston - who knows, someone might have one.
    Looks like I'm off the water for a while.
    Who said getting the cylinders off was quick & easy?..............

Banned User
    +1
    They usually are pretty easy to get off. What if you use a block of wood and a hammer to try and get the piston to slide down in the bore? Might free it up. Just don't go crazy beating on it.

Thread Information