Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Is this Intercooler Leaking, or Not?????? Test Results Inside.

After finding the corrosion in the following thread:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	292304

I obviously decided to pressure test the intercooler, but I am not sure my test results are conclusive - so I need a little help. The reason I say not conclusive, is I am not sure that my test apparatus is setup to hold pressure for that long.

Test #1

60 psi of water pressure on the water side of the intercooler. Lost 4 lbs after 2 hours. No visible signs of internal air side leakage.

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	292302

Test #2

Intercooler air side filled completely with HOT water, 60 psi of air on the water side of the intercooler. Lost 15 psi after 4 hours, but I was really looking for bubbles. No bubbles observed after air was worked out of the intercooler fins.

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	292303

Well, there you have it. What do you guys think, a leaker or not? I am leaning to NOT a leaker and I need to go find a source of salt spray in my hull instead. I'm looking at my strainer which has some leakage signs.

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1

Is this Intercooler Leaking, or Not?????? Test Results Inside.

I have only tested one Intercooler and did not have as good a test set up as you have used.

I would say the lost psi is just natural seepage from the connections and joints.

If no air bubbles appeared in the water when air pressure was applied to the core then I would think all is ok.

Testing at 60 psi is more than enough I would have thought.

I have not read your other thread which your first picture is from, but as the IC seems to have held up under testing, I would have thought the damage to the throttle body is caused by not fogging completely after each ride, not winterising it correctly or letting it sit in damp / humid conditions that has allowed any remaining salt crystals to corrode into the surfaces.

If you strainer is spraying a mist inside the hull as you suggest, this would cause it as it would be ingested via the air filter unless you are running rear air?

Just my thought on it from these pics.
    Last edited by Badvgood; 02-10-2013 at 09:32 AM.

+1
    If you're getting water in your hull while riding it's getting sucked in through the SC and getting shoved through the IC and then TB..

I havent read your other thread yet so you may have already addressed that..

+1

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	292305

Yea, that is theory #2, but I am still having a hard time believing that the air source could cause these deposits.

+1
    [QUOTE=ou812;2104635]If you're getting water in your hull while riding it's getting sucked in through the SC and getting shoved through the IC and then TB..

I havent read your other thread yet so you may have already addressed that..[/QUOT]

I told him that 3 days ago.........

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=191807&page=3

+1
    I know you said that days ago, my response was that there were no signs of significant water intrusion into the hull. It is hard to see the bottom near the bailers (because I have a center mounted intercooler), but I don't get much of anything out of the drains after a days ride. So, i am just going through the process of elimination here. I need to decide on the intercooler, so I can move on to water in the hull. But I will say again, I am surprised at the extent of the deposits in the throttle body with just intake air. BTW - I'm not sure that it would be water spray. I have a Riva front air intake with a outerwear cover on the filter before it goes to the supercharger. It would have to just be caused by salt water vapor in the air in the hull to get through the outerwear cover. Given the amount of crap in the throttle body and my setup, thats why I am focussing so hard on the intercooler.

I just have no clue what to expect in the test results. I thought it might help others in the future on IC testing, thats why I started a new thread.

+1
    ok, is there crap on both sides of the IC?

+1
    Check all your connections with soapy water, if they're leaking, fix them. Then if you're still losing pressure during the test, the IC is leaking. Also I would not put 60 PSI on the test.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    Also I would not put 60 PSI on the test.
    James (JFizzle) suggested I increase the pressure as the pump can put out up to 70 psi.

+1

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	292314
    Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    ok, is there crap on both sides of the IC?
    Small little chunks of salt residue. Not really a whole bunch. A tad more on the discharge than the intake side, but not a whole lot more. The carnage is at the throttle body. BTW - there was also some standing water in the bottom of the intake after removing the throttle body. Here is a picture of what I saw.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information