+1

Wear Ring rotates loosely in pump housing.

2006 Sea Doo GTX SC Limited 215HP. I went to help a friend change his impeller and wear ring the other day. We found that the old wear ring could easily be rotated in the pump housing. The inner casing was shinny due to the rotating of the wear ring. We figured that it was time to change it out anyways. Upon receiving the new wear ring it too just slid in without putting it in the freezer and also could be easily rotated. We checked the part number again and confirmed it wasn't the 185HP wear ring so we are confident its the right wear ring. Anyone experienced this before. My 2005 Sea Doo GTX SC 185Hp had a tight fit. This doesn't seem normal to us. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

+1
    All wear rings are the same OD its the inside that's different ive seen this lots, my fix is get some contact cement like whats used on the mats of the ski clean both parts and scuff them up then apply to 2 coats to the wear ring and 2 to the pump and install it when its ready you be good to go.

+1
    Thank you for the quick reply. We will follow your method. Awesome youtube video on your site...105MPH. I would love to be able to witness that speed someday.

+1
    I've seen this with aftermarket wear rings. If its a plastic pump, you can put a couple short sheet metal screws through the pump and part way through the wear ring. Pre-drill the holes. Sea Doo did this on some of their plastic pumps. I'm looking at a 951 pump that has two screws on the top and two on the bottom. Nice avatar.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk1964 View Post
    2006 Sea Doo GTX SC Limited 215HP. I went to help a friend change his impeller and wear ring the other day. We found that the old wear ring could easily be rotated in the pump housing. The inner casing was shinny due to the rotating of the wear ring. We figured that it was time to change it out anyways. Upon receiving the new wear ring it too just slid in without putting it in the freezer and also could be easily rotated. We checked the part number again and confirmed it wasn't the 185HP wear ring so we are confident its the right wear ring. Anyone experienced this before. My 2005 Sea Doo GTX SC 185Hp had a tight fit. This doesn't seem normal to us. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    I've seen this happen before. What "I WOULD DO" is to use some good marine adhesive that can be used above and below the water and rub it on both the wear ring and the pump it self(Right stuff works great). Contact cement might not last as long or hold for very long because its not design for under water applications. Just like the after market matt kits, if you let your foot wells stay filled up with water for a while they will become loose and the cement will disintegrate. Just a thought. My .02 cents

+1
    I use the weldwood brand glue ive done this on the metal pumps lots of times and have removed the wearings and they where still tight after 2 years the glue will tighten the tolerance that was lost from the ring rotating and makes a water tight seal also the right stuff will cause high spots because of its thick consistency stay with the glue i give results.

not that I've checked, but wouldn't it jam in tight into the shoe thus locking it anyway.

I am the guy with GTX LTD my good friend was asking about. When I have to change the wear ring next time, how do I get it out if I have cemented it in. I plan to take your recommendation, but just wanted to see what I was getting myself into when I change it next time.

Thanks,

Thread Information