Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

98 SLTH Does not charge the battery

I have a 98 SLTH that will not keep the battery charged. Other then that it runs great. I can usually get the better part of a day before the battery is too dead to start it. I have been keeping a spare on a charger and just swap them out every ten rides or so. It does not drain the battery when it is just sitting. What could cause this?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    LR voltage regulator module may need replacing.

There are some checks you can do to verify the stator charging coil is properly connected and has the correct ohm readings.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    -Voltage regulator failed
    -Bad stator 12v winding

Hook a meter to the ski battery and see if the voltage goes up at all when the ski is started, if it does not, check for ac voltage between the yellow and red/purple coming from the stator while the engine is running. You should have over 13 volts.

+1
    Thanks for the tips. I checked at the battery this past summer and there was no change running or not. I will check the wires.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    -Voltage regulator failed
    -Bad stator 12v winding

Hook a meter to the ski battery and see if the voltage goes up at all when the ski is started, if it does not, check for ac voltage between the yellow and red/purple coming from the stator while the engine is running. You should have over 13 volts.
    I had this issue with my SLT, there is a possiblity that someone spliced the stator wires, in my case, they had and one of the connections was corroded and basically broken, fixed connection and boom, everything works fine....

+1
    OK so after a weekend of swapping batteries more times then I could count. I did some poking around with a meter. The yellow stator wire reads 9.88 volts running or not. Also my bilge pump only works if I push the button. I checked the fuse and the fuse is fine. It is looking to me like the LR regulator as as few of you have stated. I just want to be sure before I start buying parts. The upgrade kits are almost as much as I paid for the whole ski.

If the stator were bad would the ski still run? It seems to me that if the ski were running only off the battery the spark plugs would drain it within minutes.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    LR voltage regulator is quite separate from the CDI and ignition system.

The Ignition System Update Kit does not include an LR voltage regulator module, and is not affected by the LR module.

The Yellow wire, when engine is OFF, should have full battery voltage. If voltage on Yellow wire from stator changes when Yellow wire from LR module is disconnected (engine off) then LR module is bad.

DC voltage on Yellow wire when engine off should be battery voltage.
    Yellow wire has pulsing AC/DC voltage with engine running. Cannot be accurately measured with a regular meter when running.

+1
    Its not the LR module. I swapped it out with the one from my SLTX and it works fine in the good ski and presents the same symptoms in the SLTH. I get 12.6 on the Red/Purple wire, 9.8 on the yellow ( running or not) and nothing on the Orange (running or not) unless I press the bilge button.

Banned User
    +1
    You should be seeing over 14 volts on the red/purple with the engine running. If you are not getting that, your LR is bad. If you are only getting 12.6 volts with the engine running, it is not charging the battery. I just tested the the same thing in my X45. I got 14.5 volts while running.

+1
    I traced it down to the yellow wire is not sending voltage back up from the stator. It doesn't matter if the ski is running or not,the Yellow wire from the stator doesn't have any voltage at all. I'm going to pull the flywheel tomorrow and hopefully find a broken or corroded wire near the stator.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information