Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Couple ?'s, 99 gp1200

Hey guys, got my ski running again finally. I wanted to ask a few questions though. I haven't gotten to test run it in the water yet. Anyway, last year when I had it out the motor kept bogging down and if I eased into the throttle it would finally take off. Well i figured it was siezing up and i was right, so now i have a new motor in it with 30 hours on it. I put the hose on it and let it run a bit yesterday, revved it up a few times. Firstly, it didn't sound like it revved as high as it should've. I guess I won't know much til I get it in the water. Anyway, the gauge display is very light, I can hardly see the letters or numbers. I'm wondering if a bad stator will effect the gauges and is it possibly effecting the spark which makes it not rev as high as it should. It sounded like it only hit 4k rpm? Pisser was pissing like it should and otherwise it seemed to idle fine. I don't think it's a carb issue, the guy I bought it from last year said the carbs were completely gone through just before he put it up for sale. It has an aftermarket waterbox, nozzle, impeller, and otherwise is stock. How can I test the stator? What can I do about the gauge besides replacing? And what else could I look for? Thanks!

+1
    You could put a volt meter across the battery while its running to see if it charging. Should be in the 13 to 15 volt range

I had issues with the display being light and an occasional alarm beep. Turned out to be a bad battery. If the voltage shows charge I would still take the battery in and have it tested at an auto parts store or battery warehouse. There has been a lot of threads on here about the gp's bogging down after sitting for a while. I would shut mine off for more than 20 minutes and it it would bog bad. If I feathered the throttle for a minute it would take off and run fine. I think it is a problem with a lot of water in the water box. It wouldn't go till some of the water would clear out. I put a jetworks valve on and it made a big difference. Not sure if this is the same issue your having with the bogging. Try a search on here you might find some of the old threads on this.

I put the voltmeter on the battery. Showed 12.7 v before starting. Turned the ski on and it showed the same voltage, so I guess it's a bad stator.

Edit: would that cause the display to be that light though?

Also, will a stator assembly from a gp760 fit the 1200 motor? I can get one locally if thats the case. Seems they are almost identical except for the 1200 having one extra cylinder.

On the riva OE parts look-up They look different

http://rivaracing.onlinemicrofiche.com/showmodel.asp

That link didn't work. I'll try again

http://www.rivayamaha.com/parts_finder.asp

+1
    Stator won't work. Could just be old gas or moisture in the gas. What do the plugs look like?

Well the plugs are brand new, I just got the motor a couple weeks ago and only took it out once so far for about 30 minutes. The battery was drained 1/4 down after that run. Havent pulled the new plugs but I don't think they have enough use to accurately judge anything from them. It ran like bat outa hell when I test rode it though, didn't bog down or anything.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gp12xx View Post
    I put the voltmeter on the battery. Showed 12.7 v before starting. Turned the ski on and it showed the same voltage, so I guess it's a bad stator.

Edit: would that cause the display to be that light though?
    Yes probably. I'd say fix that charging/stator issue then go from there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information