Steering Problem - 2001 Genesis I

Out on a ride today. Stopped at the beach for a little while and then when I jumped back on to drive home.......problems!

I'm driving along and all of a sudden I have no tension when trying to turn right and no responsiveness to turning right. In fact the only direction I can travel is left, permanently. I kind of do some odd maneuvering to get myself back to the shore (via numerous left turns with varying throttle to position myself in that direction ). When I get back to the beach I realize that there is no response when turning the bars to the right. Left works, when I manually move it to center and turn left anyway, then its just stuck left.

My questions is, essentially, what do you think the issue is? I have been looking at the manuals online to see how the drive system brakes down but cannot find the exact one. My understanding is that there is a cable that runs from the bars to the drive which pulls when turning. My suspicion is that the cable for turning left snapped! Is this a stupid assumption or am I slightly on track?

Any help would be much much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I suspect that the outer sleeve for the steering cable has become loose.

There is only one steering able, but it has an inner cable that moves, which is inside the hollow outer sleeve. The outer sleeve is supposed to be firmly attached at both ends, and only the inner cable actually slides in and out to move the steering nozzle.

Check where the steering cable is mounted at the exit from the hull. The outer shell of the cable should NOT move when you turn the handlebars. Only the inner cable (which is the steering rod that goes to the steering nozzle) should move.

Thanks for the quick response. Always appreciated.

I did notice that when I was checking it out in the water there was a little rubber cylinder that seemed to be between two of the out rods. One rod was a little smaller than the other and the rubber piece seemed to cover both. It snapped off because it was super brittle. Now is the cable in the middle literally a cable or is it like a rod? Because if it is a cable, is it possible for water to have got inside since the rubber piece was not doing its job and corroded the cable causing it to eventually snap?

Also, since there is only one steering cable, and it did in fact snap or something, why would it be that it will engage when turning left but not right?

Sorry for all the questions. Trying to get as much information as possible before breaking down the whole system. Don't want to create more work and potential problems when it might be a simple fix.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There are only two 'control rods' at the jet pump. One controls the reverse bucket. The other controls the angle of the steering nozzle.

Have someone move the handlebars left and right while you hold the steering nozzle on the jet pump still. Watch the steering cable. If you see the outer jacket of the steering cable moving, then that is the problem. It may be more visible inside the hull, looking at where the steering cable passes through the rear of the hull.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    When a cable comes loose ore breaks, it will sometimes turn the direction in whihc the cable is pulled tight, but not the opposite direction. That is likley why it will respond more in one direction. I would look under the steering column to see if the jacket came loose or broke. Sometimes they break where the metal collar is crimped to the cable assembly.

As for the rubber boot....they really dont keep water out too well. I would not be overly worried about it.

Thanks guys.

I am going to try and get to this later on this week. These suggestions will certainly help so at least I know what I'm looking for. Hoping I am not going to be requiring a bunch of parts but I guess we'll find out. I will update as soon as I can figure more out.

+1
    I had the nut vibrate loose and lost a bunch of steering in one direction only. Mine was a simple fix.
    Good luck

Thread Information