Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 GSX-L White Pipe Install?

Aquired a 97.5 gsx-l white pipe, was wondering if it was necessary to get the white exhaust manifold also or can I reuse my silver one w/o having to port match it to the white pipe and still make power/rpm?

the white pipe is a few mm's wider - port to match or aquire a white manifold

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by EJRex View Post
    Aquired a 97.5 gsx-l white pipe, was wondering if it was necessary to get the white exhaust manifold also or can I reuse my silver one w/o having to port match it to the white pipe and still make power/rpm?
    Your peak rpm will be the same with stock silver manifold or ported, but your excelleration will not be there. Also, jetting changes with the amount of porting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Your peak rpm will be the same with stock silver manifold or ported, but your excelleration will not be there. Also, jetting changes with the amount of porting.

Sorry to hijack the post I'm also planning on using a White Pipe for my RX. Everithing I read here is that there is some RPM gain on using it. Also I belive in Ben's thread he sugest to match port the silver mani.

Jim : you are telling that using a white pipe on a silver engine will loose acceleration?

Cheers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AndinoWatercraft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post

Sorry to hijack the post I'm also planning on using a White Pipe for my RX. Everithing I read here is that there is some RPM gain on using it. Also I belive in Ben's thread he sugest to match port the silver mani.

Jim : you are telling that using a white pipe on a silver engine will loose acceleration?

Cheers.
    Yes, you will loose bottom end hit for a more mid to upper pull. Using a stock silver manifold will sacrifice additional bottom end, but you will still get the 100 rpm-- if you over port, you will pick up a little more bottom end and loose a little from the top-- jetting changes with the amount of porting. You can always add compression, timing, reeds and displacement to get the bottom end back.

+1
    Thank's for the tip.

Thanks guys, my goal is mid and top end, so I may just bolt the pipe on and go. I ordered a solas concord 15/20 to go along with it, should run on well.
    I've already jetted for a power plenum flame arrestor, will I need to rejet for the pipe?

+1
    Water inject the pipe 4 inches from the flange plate. Set it up to be always on and off at 5500rpm.
    This will increase the bottom end more than reeds and timing.
    If you do the following advance the timing +2,rinaldi reeds with spacers along with water injection it will jump out of the water as well as having great mid range and top end
    I run 135psi as this seems to keep them more reliable with these mods.
    If jetted correctly you will bump the limiter so a prop re pitch might be required.
    Im just about to water inject a white pipe on one of our surf boats .
    They work very well for surf conditions

+1
    the white head pipe does lean out the mid to upper-- may be good, maybe bad depending on if you are fat, lean or spot on. the 15/20 depending if you got a big 1 or small 1 can also require additional carb jetting/tuning as this impeller can potentionally load your motor 300+ rpm. When ever you make a change to your 951, it is wise to always pay attention to jetting, rpm loading, detonation. I fix LOTS of 951s every year...

Hmm.. good to know. I always read the concord would drop rpm, hence the need for additonal mods to put you in the right powerband. And who can reprogram/tune mpems? Not sure how to advance timing w/o spending 1+k on a programmer..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information