Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Polaris Genesis Ficht

Hey guys I'm new to the jetski world,

Am looking at buying a 2000 polaris genesis with 38 hrs on it.

was wondering how these skis are as in reliability, speed ect.
    I in Australia and he 4500 which isn't to bad for the hours that are on it though I'm unable to find any reviews on it so was hoping for some info about them on here.

any help would be greatly appreciate,
    thanks,
    luke
    Last edited by K447; 02-12-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome Luke.

Is this Genesis engine carburetor or fuel injected?

The Genesis uses a red 'domestic' Polaris 2-stroke 1165cc '1200' engine. This same engine was used in the Virage TX, SLX and Pro 1200. Generally quite reliable engine. Service is straightforward in most respects.

There are some common maintenance issues and simple upgrades, which are outlined in my signature links.

The Genesis was the largest hull Polaris made. Very tough hull, good ride in medium rough waters. Rated for four people, comfortable with three or two.

Top speed in smooth water is just over 50mph, give or take.

If it has PERC electric reverse, it may need some checking and maintenance to ensure reliable, continued operation.

There are other Greenhulk members in Oz with Polaris knowledge. Update your My Profile (very top right of the web page) with your location so others can see where you are.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Its a fun ski! I ended up liking mine much more than I expected. Really good for multiple passengers, a bit oversized if you plan to ride alone alot. Super stable. I can put all my weight in one footwell and the ski does not roll over.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Is this Genesis engine carburetor or fuel injected?.
    its the fuel injected 1200cc around about 135hp I believe.
    i was tossing up between this and a seadoo, are parts hard to come by for these as polaris pwc went bankrupt?

thanks for the info i think I'll be buying this ski.
    I was a little worried about the stability but I'm sure it'll be fine.
    its mainly going to be used for tow surfing and just mucking around at the lake

thanks
    luke

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

i was tossing up between this and a seadoo, are parts hard to come by for these as polaris pwc went bankrupt?

thanks for the info i think I'll be buying this ski.
    I was a little worried about the stability but I'm sure it'll be fine.
    its mainly going to be used for tow surfing and just mucking around at the lake

thanks
    luke
    Are you buying this on a private sale or through a dealer? The Genesis is a great ski, if stability is what you want it doesn't get much better than that hull. Parts are easy, just be ready to have stuff shipped from the USA. In any event you will pay about 5 times less with international shipping than going to the likes of jet ski world in the gold coast. This is also a good starting point. I have tons of parts, many of which are interchangeable particularly the jet pumps - and so do other Aussies on the forum just ask what you need.

$4500 sounds like a fair price for a machine with so little run time. Actually I find it hard to believe, it would need to be in near new condition so make sure you check it over. Don't buy anything until you have verified engine compression should be around 120+ psi per cylinder and within 5% of each other. If you can get a test run as well on water it would be best you want to make sure there are no engine warning lights coming etc. You want to go into the surf on your ski so safety is paramount and that starts with a good working machine! Post up some pics if you can theres a lot of knowledge here and people willing to help each other.

Good luck.

+1

i was tossing up between this and a seadoo, are parts hard to come by for these as polaris pwc went bankrupt? ...
    All Polaris Genesis have the same 1165cc red engine and stock HP, only difference is some have carburetors and some use Ficht Direct Fuel Injection.

Polaris Industries in the USA is still very much in business. What did happen is Polaris discontinued watercraft production at the end of 2004. Parts continued to be available from Polaris for many years, although that is now winding down. Used parts are generally available, especially in the US. New parts are also still available, although not every part number.

Greenhulk.net is by far the strongest online resource for Polaris watercraft.

Do not rely heavily on the low engine hours count as an indicator of engine health or reliability. That machine is thirteen years old now. What matters is actual current condition, maintenance history, and most importantly, what you do to inspect, maintain, learn, upgrade, inspect, service, check and generally get to know it inside and out.

The more important reliability is to you, the more important it is to really go through it from end to end.

It's a private sale, I thought it was a little cheap for what it is. I'll be getting a compression tester and doing one on it before I buy anything.
    they said it was mainly used for tender for large boat so I just hope that they have taken care of it and flushed it out after every use.
    Ill be haven't a good look over it as I really don't want to buy something then have it crap out on me first time in the water.
    from what I've seen this is by far the best forum, plent of good knowledge and people more then happy to help someone out.
    cheers

+1
    ... I'll be haven't a good look over it as I really don't want to buy something then have it crap out on me first time in the water....
    Well, all you can do is stack the reliability odds in your favor.

When you get it home, do NOT immediately take it for some more 'test rides'. The approach I would recommend is to start into the maintenance process. Even if the seller appears to have done things properly, it is worthwhile going through the process. I expect that you find at least a few things that are not quite how they need to be, or just need servicing.

Any old watercraft, regardless of brand, is liable to have maintenance 'surprises' here and there. Every so often someone will post something here along the lines of 'I had no idea it was that close to failing' or 'It could have let go at any time, if I had not checked it.'

It could be a loose clamp on a hard to see, hard to reach hose, a wire or hose chaffing against the engine, a cracked fuel filler neck, etc.

You could get lucky and just go riding, without anything bad happening. Realistically, the more effort you put into making it reliable, the more likely it is that it will actually be reliable.

I'll be going over it for the first weekend, more then likely change the oil, spark plugs and any other general servicing I can do. I'm expecting to find something's that may need replacing or tightening which is alright.

it won't be getting on the water for about another 2 or 3 weeks due to work but if I get it ready to go then I'm happy.

+1
    I'll be going over it for the first weekend, more then likely change the oil, spark plugs and any other general servicing I can do. I'm expecting to find something's that may need replacing or tightening which is alright.

it won't be getting on the water for about another 2 or 3 weeks due to work but if I get it ready to go then I'm happy.
    Um, this is a 2-stroke engine. Not like a car engine.

Read up on how these things work, so you do not make incorrect assumptions about how they need to be worked on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information