Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best way to clean oil caked on inside the hull?

I just got a 97 sl1050, and it appears that the oil reservoir has a slight leak in it, and it has been leaking oil into the hull for some years. It's is everywhere in the hull and it is caked on thick in some places. What is the best way to go about about cleaning the oil out of the hull? I'm trying to avoid having to take the engine out, I've taken off the carbs and the exhaust just so I can reach more area in the ski. Next, I'm going to to simply remove the oil injection and go with premix, are there any drawbacks to doing this?

And if I remove the oil injection, what do I do with the oil level sensor? I don't want to remove it then be stuck in limp mode!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Clean up the hull, then investigate the actual source of the oil leak.

I would use a combination of hot water, pressure washer, and chemical degreaser. Be sure to cover and enclose the engine air intake (flame arrestor) with a plastic bag so that water cannot get up into the air intakes.

Tip the nose of the trailer as high as you can get it. Remove the drain plugs from the rear of the hull. Remove the battery. Avoid forcing the spray against the wire harnesses.

Wear eye protection from back-splashing.

Another method is to leave the hull drain plugs in place. Pour plenty of degreaser (and perhaps some hot water) into the hull, then take it for a trailer ride on a bumpy road. The sloshing motion will work the cleaner around. Let it sit and work, then another ride. Then tip hull up, drain and wash down the interior.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo1287 View Post
    And if I remove the oil injection, what do I do with the oil level sensor? I don't want to remove it then be stuck in limp mode!!
    My signature links include info on using a 33 ohm resistor to force the system to always read full oil.

If indeed the oil tank is leaking, you may be able to get a replacement for little cost.

The pros and cons of switching to pre-mix have been covered in previous threads, and there are links from my signature pages.

+1
    When I clean mine I'm going to try using a steamer. The hot steam should "melt" the oil off pretty good...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Clean up the hull, then investigate the actual source of the oil leak.

I would use a combination of hot water, pressure washer, and chemical degreaser. Be sure to cover and enclose the engine air intake (flame arrestor) with a plastic bag so that water cannot get up into the air intakes.

Tip the nose of the trailer as high as you can get it. Remove the drain plugs from the rear of the hull. Remove the battery. Avoid forcing the spray against the wire harnesses.

Wear eye protection from back-splashing.

Another method is to leave the hull drain plugs in place. Pour plenty of degreaser (and perhaps some hot water) into the hull, then take it for a trailer ride on a bumpy road. The sloshing motion will work the cleaner around. Let it sit and work, then another ride. Then tip hull up, drain and wash down the interior.
    +1 cover the intake.

For a ski that is all gunked up (new to me) I do the hot water / degreaser and trailer it to a car wash. Not sure what the EPA would say but at least it's not on my driveway.

Banned User
    +1
    I like the steamer idea

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I like the steamer idea
    in my mind it seems like a perfect solution...

+1
    The bottom hull of a SL is a witch to clean. It is not smooth like many hulls. It has reinforce webs throughout producing hundreds of cavities to collect oil and dirt. It drains poorly and you can't get all the water out. We I pulled my engine for a rebuild, I did all of the above and it was not a fun job. Brushing and pressure was help significantly, however be sure not to ge the pressured water to touch the styrofoam or it will bust it up into a hundred pieces. Ask me how I know..... At least oil will float and much will come to the top. But it will also leave a film. Good luck. I am sure it will be better than it was, but never perfect. Oh, don't forget to cover the electrical box significantly.

+1

Best way to clean oil caked on inside the hull?

I like using really hot water and Dawn dish detergent. I let it sit In the bottom of the hull for an hour them use a brush to agitate the grime. Works well for me.
    Anything that is stubborn I will spray some strong degreaser on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information