Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kawasaki’s Bipolar Disorder It might be over for their watercraft

Banned User
    +1

Kawasaki’s Bipolar Disorder It might be over for their watercraft

Ummm for being absent from the market for four years they sure do have allot of boats at every race lol what a stupid article.

+1
    HE must be one of those that believe that if it is on the internet it must be true. Then being on that site made it more of a joke. They are the supermarket tabloid of the internet.

The question I have for the OP since you have to be a doctor since your screen name says DR, Have you professionally diagnosed Kawasaki with this disorder? I have never noticed it. I think they were the smart ones. Look at the auto market. Who were the ones in trouble? Who are the ones making money? GM for example you could buy the same auto just with a different name. How did that work. Then you have toyota. They have one vehicle for each market. Their dealership lots have much less units than the american dealers yet the company is doing great. So I say this, is a smaller market share suicide? I don't think so. How well is it to have a HUGE line up such as Sea Doo? Must not be that good if Bain has come in and now owns the majority of your company.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

Re: Kawasaki’s Bipolar Disorder It might be over for their watercraft

You have to remember too that the stx is pure profit at this point, the ski is basically unchanged since 2003, and the hull goes back to the stx-r and is based on the stx-900. Clearly very little was known about Kawi while writing about this as the ultra has been king of offshore for years, and with the stx and ultra 300 cc was pretty much in the bag as well. Yes the sales are the lowest of the 3 but they are still there.

Sean

+1
    Just as the articles title says "rumors & gossip" nothing more...

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Kawasaki makes the majority of it's money from it's Heavy Industries, civil, general, and other projects. The Moto biz is not a big money maker, never has been. A couple of interesting things: They were #1 in motorcycle sales. This has never happened before. Honda was ALWAYS #1. That part of the KMI is doing well.
    But... The things that make them money, HI as mentioned before, have also been struggling.
    I will also say you never know. It does cost them more to be in this business right now then they make. That does not mean they will quit. But it also does not mean they wont.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

That is very true rod, I just find it hard to believe they would setup the plant in Nebraska to build the ultra and then kill off the line.

Who knows.

Sean

+1
    Well, SeaDoo quit the sport boat business last year. And Yamaha can't make enough to meet demand.

It seems like Kawi goes in cycles, i.e., every couple of years they come out with something completely new. In '99 it was the Ultra 150. A few years later, the Ultra 250. The 250/260/300 have been around a while, it's time for them to surprise us again.

9. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    Kawasaki makes the majority of it's money from it's Heavy Industries, civil, general, and other projects. The Moto biz is not a big money maker, never has been. A couple of interesting things: They were #1 in motorcycle sales. This has never happened before. Honda was ALWAYS #1. That part of the KMI is doing well.
    But... The things that make them money, HI as mentioned before, have also been struggling.
    I will also say you never know. It does cost them more to be in this business right now then they make. That does not mean they will quit. But it also does not mean they wont.
    Yes, Rod has hit the nail on the head here. The Motorcycle Unit is doing well from a market share / numbers point of view. Based on their current market share, the Watercraft Unit needs to bring market share "up". Kawasaki Jet Ski has had it's back to the wall before, and they have delivered (STX-R and the Ultra). But the market is different know, and the Big K needs to step up and broaden their product line. Both Sea Doo and Yamaha have a much broader product line from which a consumer can choose.

We all like to ride pwc's, race pwc's, work on pwc's, argue about pwc's . . . . all of it. But before any of that, it's a BUSINESS. I think Rod's last two sentences says it all. I will leave it at that. JB

+1

Speaking from a new shopper point of view, the 3 pwc manufacturers seemed to me to be much like goldilocks and the 3 bears. First you have Seadoo with a plethora of models and way too many technical gizmos that confuses the crap out of the customer trying to figure out which model/features will fit their use. Then you have Kawasaki whose cupboard is bare, the only models I saw at dealers around here were the X and LX, which is great if that's exactly what you want but definitely doesn't provide enough choice for different consumer tastes and needs. And finally there's Yamaha which has just the right balance of models for the broad range of conceivable uses: the FZ in a 2 or 3 person configuration for the performance junkie, the FX in SC or non for the luxury/cruising customer and the VXR/S for the budget speedster along with the lower powered VX versions for the rental market. To me that's just right.

Note I'm not saying this as a fan boy even though I did end up with a Yamaha. Im fairly brand agnostic, I've owned both Kawi and Yamaha MCs and might be picking up a CanAm Renegade at some point so I'm just pointing out what my impressions were this fall when researching and shopping for pwcs. Hopefully though all 3 manufacturers stay in the business and keep innovating as more competition is always better than less for all of us consumers.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information