Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

XLT 1200 Need Advice, now that engine is out and #3 piston meltdown confirmed

What started out as a potential carb issue, turned out to be slightly more serious, as #3 meltdown is very clear.
    The issues:
    0. The oil line had detached. I assume from other posts, a common occurrence.
    1. Does the crank survive the event, as the rod has changed in color (overheating)?
    2. If it does, can the crankcase be cleaned, as debris has inevitably leeched down?
    3. How can I read the hours on the engine, once it is out? I forgot to do so before removal....
    4. Due to geographical location, it is more expensive to ship anything in and out of El Salvador
    5. The # 1 and # 2 cylinders and pistons are OK, the honing is good, no visible damage, but ignore the lifespan of these motors.
    6. Do I replace only the # 3 assembly?
    7. re-ring the other pistons?
    8. There is a lot of calcium deposits in the head as the lake in our lake is of volcanic provenance,
    so full of minerals, and flushing would be with the same water. No idea on this issue
    9.. What now?

Thank you for your help.
    Regards, Alberto
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1040672-001.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	292603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1040673-001.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	292604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1040678-001.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	292605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1040679.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	292606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1040680.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	292607  

Banned User
    +1
    Rod color ok
    Crank may or may not be fine- tear down is only sure way of knowing or a scope
    Check rod play now and any notching
    U can only replace the one jug/piston - up to you look at pros n cons

+1
    Plan on rebuilding or replacing that crank.the amount of heat and discoloration that is on it tells it all. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you try using that crank you will just be pulling it back out and spending more money on another rebuild.
    if the cylinder is not too bad you can send it to be renicked or find another used one.
    Good Luck with the build.

4. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    My rods are kinda close in color and checked out just fine when inspected by Crankworks

+1
    The oil line coming off is not what killed that motor, it ran WAY too lean, either a carb problem or a big air leak like at the crank seal, carb or reed gaskets, or base gasket. The best choice would have been to leak test the motor before pullling it apart, then you would know where the leak was. The one picture of the rod looks pretty black, and if the inside looks discolored, or the pin looks like it was distressed, better rebuild or replace the crank. You will be able to clean everything else real good when you take the cases apart to service the crank and seals.

Thank you all for your opinions. The issue, is the shipping, as very expensive to take components to the USA and back.
    My best bet, would be to find a NOS long block and just bring that back to El Salvador.
    Anyone have a source?
    Here, we have zero facilities here for crank rebuilding, and it would appear that just the components are very expensive.
    Anyhow, will remove the crank from the block to investigate further.
    Regards, Alberto

+1
    Considering your limitation of parts and availabilitie of crank rebuild options, I think I would inspect it and give it a good cleaning. Lets look at the pic of the cylinder. 2 strokes are often forgiving. You may be able to give the cylinder a light hone even if Nicasiled. Often it just has a coating of aluminum on the walls. However your piston looks to have large chunk out of it, so you may have worse issues. In your case, the value of the shipping and repairs to the US may exceed the value of the ski. Therefore I think maybe new piston/ring and a light hone or new piston/ring, sleeve the cylinder and bore. If you have no machining options, you may be to go to the states for a used cylinder. Good luck.\

Thats a large chunk out of the piston. Do you have powervalves on that 1200? If so, you may want to check thier condition/opperation.

+1
    pm sent-- I have lots of other parts too

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    Considering your limitation of parts and availabilitie of crank rebuild options, I think I would inspect it and give it a good cleaning. Lets look at the pic of the cylinder. 2 strokes are often forgiving. You may be able to give the cylinder a light hone even if Nicasiled. Often it just has a coating of aluminum on the walls. However your piston looks to have large chunk out of it, so you may have worse issues. In your case, the value of the shipping and repairs to the US may exceed the value of the ski. Therefore I think maybe new piston/ring and a light hone or new piston/ring, sleeve the cylinder and bore. If you have no machining options, you may be to go to the states for a used cylinder. Good luck.\

Thats a large chunk out of the piston. Do you have powervalves on that 1200? If so, you may want to check thier condition/opperation.
    The part of the piston that is missing, melted off.
    The power valves are fine. I thing the blob just went out the pipe?
    I read somewhere on this site, that there was a dealer that sold long blocks OEM, Any idea?
    Today, we'll take out the crank and see what that looks like and I will post pix.
    Thank you.
    Regards, Alberto

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    My rods are kinda close in color and checked out just fine when inspected by Crankworks
    That kinda close advice is going to cost someone a lot of money. anyone that has experience building these motors knows better. please get a little more knowledge before giving kinda close advice. Jerry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information