Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

What do I need to stay warm and dry

While I'm waiting for the ice to melt i want to buy all the gear to keep my self worm and dry, don't have any experience with wetsuit or drysuit, from what i'm being told wet-suit only keeps you warm in the water and not when you are out fishing, so for those of you fishing/jet skiing in the cold, what do i need, what type of boots, suits, gloves etc.

Thanks in Advance
    Don

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Depends...on what range water temps/air temps? You talking in the heart of winter? Or just a cold late fall day?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1

+1
    I'm talking about early spring in Thousand Islands area in NY, +/- 50 degrees.

+1
    50 degrees? Jetpliot tour coat and Slippery switch pants, along with you preference of gloves and booties should be fine.

+1
    in the off chance that i fall in the water, any problem staying a float with this coat ?(I would also be wearing my lifejacket).

+1
    No. I've been thrown off wearing it and been fine. Swimming in a life vest and the jacket is slower than normal, but there's no helping that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy89 View Post
    No. I've been thrown off wearing it and been fine. Swimming in a life vest and the jacket is slower than normal, but there's no helping that.
    That's understandable, so with the slippery switch pants and good pair of boots will my feet stay dry while i'm lunching the ski in the water, at the dock where i launch the ski usually i have to go about 2 feet in the water.

+1
    For what it's worth I rode up until 10/20 in a full 4/5 wet suit with 5mm glove and 5mm boots. Never fell off that late in the season but did go knee deep and can tell you I was very comfortable even at 65mph. Just make sure you have everything covered because cold feet or cold hands and you'll be just as uncomfortable as if you had on nothing!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHy View Post
    That's understandable, so with the slippery switch pants and good pair of boots will my feet stay dry while i'm lunching the ski in the water, at the dock where i launch the ski usually i have to go about 2 feet in the water.
    You will be warm, and dry out quickly but not stay dry (that would require a drysuit - even a wetsuit will get you wet but you won't be cold. Boots will hold a little water, but like a wetsuit, they'll insulate the water so you won't be cold. You left gloves out of your post, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by STUNNA View Post
    For what it's worth I rode up until 10/20 in a full 4/5 wet suit with 5mm glove and 5mm boots. Never fell off that late in the season but did go knee deep and can tell you I was very comfortable even at 65mph. Just make sure you have everything covered because cold feet or cold hands and you'll be just as uncomfortable as if you had on nothing!
    a 4/5 wetsuit in October?! I rode through early November in 50 degree water and didn't even wear anything on top of my bathing suit sometimes! Just Underamour compression top, tour coat, gloves, booties.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information