Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Surfix Bunk Slides

I know there are some older threads on this product but I thought I would start a new one rather than resurrect one of the older ones. For those of you that have them, or have been around them, how are they for jet ski's? Would the 1.5" width be wide enough for my 2012 VX Cruiser? That is basically the same width as my carpeted bunk anyway. What about re-loading your ski with these...when you're back on the trailer and cut the power, any chance it'll just slide back into the water?

+1
    I've never used any before, but Jerry does sell some: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1882

+1
    I've got some slides from Overton on my trailer. They are slippery. Makes launching simple.
    I don't trailer the ski but to the cabin and back once a year. My only concern is instead of the whole bunk touching the hull, now only the small slides touch. I have thought about countersinking them into the bunk a ways.
    As for driving on with them, you better be ready to hold the ski in place quickly.

+1
    I have the wider 3" slides on my Triton double trailer they work great and the carpet doesn't tear. I have trailered my skis all over Florida and the slides make launching and loading much eaiser. As for sliding off since I put the slides on if I am launching at a steep ramp I don't unhook until I back down to the water just in case. I'll shut off when loading and if it starts to slide just start the ski and let it idle until you hook it. Bottom line the slides are worth it and the steepness of the ramp will determine if you slide right off or not.

Banned User
    +1
    Am I the only person that never drives onto the trailer? I always float them on. I float them off too. Seems like everyone drives them on the trailer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Am I the only person that never drives onto the trailer? I always float them on. I float them off too. Seems like everyone drives them on the trailer.
    I NEVER drive on the trailer. Way too much room for error IMO. Also I watched somebody suck up a rock at a ramp and ruin his prop and wear ring while backing off the trailer. That sealed the deal for me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    I NEVER drive on the trailer. Way too much room for error IMO. Also I watched somebody suck up a rock at a ramp and ruin his prop and wear ring while backing off the trailer. That sealed the deal for me.
    You'll have to forgive me as I'm new at this. So how do you "float" the ski onto the trailer? I understand the concept...but do you float it as far as it will go and then pull it up the rest of the way with the winch? This past weekend I kinda got a running start at it and released the power just as I arrived at the rear of the trailer. It pushed a decent ways up onto the bunks and then I winched it the rest of the way. Should I kill power before I even get that close?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skubadad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    You'll have to forgive me as I'm new at this. So how do you "float" the ski onto the trailer? I understand the concept...but do you float it as far as it will go and then pull it up the rest of the way with the winch? This past weekend I kinda got a running start at it and released the power just as I arrived at the rear of the trailer. It pushed a decent ways up onto the bunks and then I winched it the rest of the way. Should I kill power before I even get that close?
    I jump off the ski and get to the dock, attach a rope and pull the ski to the trailer and winch it up.

Some may say its unnecessary, but I don't think so.

Banned User
    +1
    I back the trailer in deep enough to get the ski almost all the way up the bunks just by pulling it up with my rope. I finish it off with the winch.

+1
    Welcome Skuba,
    Do you really live on a floppy disk ?? -profile shows location as A:

I use bunk sliders and have for years. I don't find them too slippery and help when pulling skis on/off trailer to stands.
    -they hold on to a lot less hull-scratching grit than carpet.
    -they protect bunks. the carpet splits from weight of the ski and traps moisture...rotting the bunks.

Also, I drive on my trailer 95% of the time. I hate to crank it up.
    -leave ~18" of bunk out of the water. idle into bunks. shift wt back and touch the throttle. engine off.
    -attach winch strap AND safety chain !!
    -click up winch strap.
    Just do it perfectly every time.

In 12 years of trailering, the bow-hook, safety chain has only saved me once...but it's well worth it.
    -every boat trailer I see has a bow safety but I never see them on pwc trailers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information