Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

V-Tech license for tune

What/who is licensed to use a V-Tech tune when it is purchased. Is it the PWC hull VIN, the ECU serial number, the original purchaser of the tune or...? And...can it be re-sold as used by the original purchaser?

I have been offered a hand held tuner and an ECU from the seller's PWC with a V-Tech tune. Can I legally use the ECU with the V-Tech tune in my PWC? And legally download and use other V-Tech tunes with that ECU in my PWC?

+1
    The tuner can be used by any-- just erase data and re-marry with your ECU. It goes by Vin number. As far as tunes go, if he has a non used credit you can use it but if the credit's been used then I believe you can't. However if its the ECU, tuner and credit then you can use all of it just don't update to your vin number. I bought a used tuner with a non-used credit and had no problems.

The tune credit would of been used when the ECU was flashed with a V-Tech tune. I suspect it all might work if I didn't update the VIN etc...but I also suspect that would be skirting around the terms of the license. If that is the case, I would be infringing on V-Tech's Intellectural Property, which I am simply not willing going to do.

I hope V-Tech chimes in on this thread and clearly states their license terms. I am very willing to stay within their terms, but I need to know what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by surferd15 View Post
    The tuner can be used by any-- just erase data and re-marry with your ECU. It goes by Vin number. As far as tunes go, if he has a non used credit you can use it but if the credit's been used then I believe you can't. However if its the ECU, tuner and credit then you can use all of it just don't update to your vin number. I bought a used tuner with a non-used credit and had no problems.

+1
    Email vtech and find out, prob will have to buy $600 tuning credit.

+1
    Im selling a brand new never used V-Tec h Maptunner in the classifieds.

You said: "...prob will have to buy $600 tuning credit."

I have a feeling you are correct.

+1
    You wont need to buy a tuning credit if you receive the maptuner and the same ecu that was married to it....

I sent V-Tech an email this morning asking for thier position on this.

Quote Originally Posted by surferd15 View Post
    Email vtech and find out, prob will have to buy $600 tuning credit.

9. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Joeypwc View Post
    What/who is licensed to use a V-Tech tune when it is purchased. Is it the PWC hull VIN, the ECU serial number, the original purchaser of the tune or...? And...can it be re-sold as used by the original purchaser?

I have been offered a hand held tuner and an ECU from the seller's PWC with a V-Tech tune. Can I legally use the ECU with the V-Tech tune in my PWC? And legally download and use other V-Tech tunes with that ECU in my PWC?
    Well, the maptuner system check the hole ski, not just the vin or the ecu.
    So if you move a ecu from one ski to another then it will lock up when it sees that parts have changed.

we then need to unlock it.

If you got a used maptuner then you an just by a new license for your ski.

Regarding the resale of ecu with license i need to check that to be sure i give you a correct answer.

We have and some problems with people trying to clone vins and similar and thus locking the maptuner.

+1
    Guys just so you understand the ECU has to married to the gauge cluster and the cluster has a ID number attached to it. So if you swap the ECU and marry it to a new cluster then it can be an ISSUe as it see;s a different gauge Number,!
    V-tech will argue that it is cheating the system. And I guess it is when you think about it. So in turn the maptunner will lock up and the only way you fix it will be a fee/ It is just anothere way to keep things on the up and up.
    But on the flip side I think its a joke for $600 for a tunning credit and dam near $400 for a tunner. JMO.
    I would just buy a new Maptunner or use a firends and get a tunning credit!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information