Thread: 97 xp steering

97 xp steering

Does anyone know the name of the plastic nut that goes through the back of the hull where the cable goes through. And do they make a metal version. The plastic one broke leaving the ski only turn to one side. Thanks

+1
    I think this is what you were looking for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEADOO-RXP-R...item4ab281097c

verify the part numbers.

I have a complete 99 xp I will be parting out the engine is frozen but all other parts are good and available email me at [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    That's the part that's broken but it doesn't work on the 97

+1
    if you swap for a newer style cable setup, ALL pieces have to be used. ANY of the 97-04 cable setups will work for your machine. If your nut broke, your cable is most likely on its way out and the metal caps are a band aid to cover the root cause. Just remember, the larger diameter cables make the steering stiffer as the newer cables don't like making the bends, but you will be able to use the metal end caps...

I have owned and sold over 200 machines (have worked on MANY others) and I had 1 ski that ever broke the end nut-- the 00 GTX was from FL and the cable was binding from salt water use-- I typically never see or work on machines ever road in salt water. I replaced the cable w/ a nice 1 and a used nut and the ski is still running well-- I see it every fall for winterizing

if you swap for a newer style cable setup, ALL pieces have to be used. ANY of the 97-04 cable setups will work for your machine. If your nut broke, your cable is most likely on its way out and the metal caps are a band aid to cover the root cause. Just remember, the larger diameter cables make the steering stiffer as the newer cables don't like making the bends, but you will be able to use the metal end caps...

I have owned and sold over 200 machines (have worked on MANY others) and I had 1 ski that ever broke the end nut-- the 00 GTX was from FL and the cable was binding from salt water use-- I typically never see or work on machines ever road in salt water. I replaced the cable w/ a nice 1 and a used nut and the ski is still running well-- I see it every fall for winterizing
    So I should replace it with a newer one is your recommendation?

+1
    yes.

yes.
    Do you know if the 96 and 97 are the same because I found a metal replacement nut.

+1
    no, they are not the same.

So I ordered the oem parts from seadoo but they sent me a piece that goes inside that is a split piece and I'm not sure how to take the one in it now off, any suggestions?

Thread Information