Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

STX15F MFD Replacement

Well after going round and round w/Kawasaki and their GTPP and them not replacing my MFD as the speedo wasn't working, I picked up another one for about 1/2 price and the same amount of hours...I'm curious as to how to go about pulling the old one out. Before I start digging in and wasting time, I thought I'd ask if there are any tips/tricks to getting to it.

2008 STX 15-F

Thanks in advance...

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    First remove the handlebar cover, there are 4 Phillips head screws on the side that face the rider, pull the cover off and remove the pad and then the throttle and stop button housing, again Phillips screws. Set those off to the side, unlock the fuel tank vent from the top and make sure not to let it fall. Now you can remove the 4 14mm bolts from the base of the handle bars. Now pull the bars off and place them away. Open the hood and remove the 2 10mm bolts from the front of the cowl. Go back to the other side and remove the 2 10 mm bolts from under where the handlebar cover was. Under the hood but above the storage bucket you will see several electrical connectors. Unplug them. Now gently lift up on the cowl and look to the right side if facing the rear and locate the grommet that the wires pass through. Remove the 2 10 mm bolts and pop it out. Now the cowl can be removed. Flip the cowl over and check the gauge, there should be 2 bolts ( I think Phillips heads) holding the gauge on to a bracket. Remove those and the gauge pops out the front. When you install the new one, I like to seal the back with rtv around the grommet at the back of the gauge and around the seam of the gauge. Then only tighten the bracket enough to hold the gauge, too tight will break the seam and let water in.

Install is the reverse of above. Good luck.

Sean

Thanks so much Smokey...that's the route I was taking but was going slow to be sure as to not screw it up...lol. I have the bar cover off...the fuel vent tank just rests over the bar crossmember, is that right? That's where I found it, but wasn't sure if I did that or that's where it's supposed to be. Again, thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    First remove the handlebar cover, there are 4 Phillips head screws on the side that face the rider, pull the cover off and remove the pad and then the throttle and stop button housing, again Phillips screws. Set those off to the side, unlock the fuel tank vent from the top and make sure not to let it fall. Now you can remove the 4 14mm bolts from the base of the handle bars. Now pull the bars off and place them away. Open the hood and remove the 2 10mm bolts from the front of the cowl. Go back to the other side and remove the 2 10 mm bolts from under where the handlebar cover was. Under the hood but above the storage bucket you will see several electrical connectors. Unplug them. Now gently lift up on the cowl and look to the right side if facing the rear and locate the grommet that the wires pass through. Remove the 2 10 mm bolts and pop it out. Now the cowl can be removed. Flip the cowl over and check the gauge, there should be 2 bolts ( I think Phillips heads) holding the gauge on to a bracket. Remove those and the gauge pops out the front. When you install the new one, I like to seal the back with rtv around the grommet at the back of the gauge and around the seam of the gauge. Then only tighten the bracket enough to hold the gauge, too tight will break the seam and let water in.

Install is the reverse of above. Good luck.

Sean

+1
    Yep, you are good.

Sean

+1
    WAIT! Before you install it, make sure to seal the rubber plug on the back where the wires go in. The plug gets hard with age and won't seal. If you flip the 'Ski, you'll ruin the new display. Seal it up with some quick drying 3M 5200.

+1
    I put that up in the how to Mr.Steve, don't worry.

Sean

+1
    Sorry, Sean! I didn't read the entire thing.

Thanks guys...I plan on finishing it up this week and will post up some in progress and finished pics.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Sorry, Sean! I didn't read the entire thing.

+1
    No big, both you and I know that you only want to replace these once.

Sean

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Wait!....lol Hey now. I hope you still have that apart. If you do please enlarge the 2 holes pointed out with the red arrows. This is one of the reasons this happens to the MFD. Do the other stuff as Smokey and Steve said.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MeterMount.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	293161
    Take care and good luck.
    Last edited by rlovebk; 03-09-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information