Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need a few suggestions to pump oil and removing rooster tail

Few questions:

1. I'll probably be sticking my ski in the water in the next month or so and will be getting it ready for the water soon. I winterized it based on the book and the suggestions given here on the forums. The only thing I did not do is change the spark plugs and change the oil as I wanted to wait until the beginning of riding season. Unfortunately it appears I need some type of pump to change the oil. What type of pump do I need to get the oil out and where can I get one?

2. Oil filters...I plan on using the K&N KN-303 oil filter instead of the OEM, I have read it should be fine. Is this an accurate?

3. Replacement oil. The book shows 10w-40 yamalube mineral 4W watercraft engine oil. Is there an alternative that isn't so expensive? I was planning on putting 10W-40 synthetic. Is this a bad idea? Any suggestions?

4. I tow my friends a lot and the rooster tail is a bitch. Is there an easy way of getting rid of this thing without ruining anything? The alternative is just to get a longer rope.

thanks in adavance

I'm with the cool kids Mowerpan's Avatar
    +1
    1. I use this one, purchased at lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_141690-60928-2005_
    2. Get the oem filter and oil at your dealer.
    3.Most 10w40's are not acceptable iirc as they have detergents which are not recommended. There are other oils (royal purple and amsoil I believe) that can be used but most are equally or more expensive than Yamalube.
    4. See this link: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ight=Gay+spray

Just FYI: Put your ski in your signature so we know what type of ski you have. The answers to all these questions have been answered in multiple previous posts. Before asking it's always a good idea to do a search to see if you can find the information that has already been shared.

+1
    You can simply add a valve to the rooster tail so you can turn it on/ off as desired (theres a ton of threads on this). I honestly, dont see the point of using an oil filter/ oil different than OEM on a stock/ slightly modified ski.

Banned User
    +1
    The valve is a great idea. Some times it is nice to have that gay spray for visibility, but if you ever ride in cold water, you will hate it.

+1
    Here is my rooster tail setup i just did a week ago, about $15 in parts at lowes. 1/2" PVC Reinforced Braided Vinyl Tubing 300psi, 1/2" barb stainless steel valve and stainless steel clamps, in regards to yama oil i got yama oil kit which includes the oil filter for about $35 is that what you consider expensive ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	292851

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    You can simply add a valve to the rooster tail so you can turn it on/ off as desired (theres a ton of threads on this). I honestly, dont see the point of using an oil filter/ oil different than OEM on a stock/ slightly modified ski.
    Wasn't there a thread somewhere on here where someone hooked it up like a squirt gun so they could spray their buddies?

+1
    You can run the*AMSOIL*10-40 Synthetic Marine Oil. https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/wcf.aspx?zo=1499968. This is the link for Jerry he owns this fourm.

+1
    I use a MityVac fluid exchanger, same idea as the Lowe's unit but quite a bit bigger.

OEM filter is superior, aftermarket use pleated media and the Yamaha filters are molded. More surface area and better flow.

I'm running Yamalube 4W right now, it's a bit pricey but since it only gets changed 1-2 times a year it's not too bad.

Make sure you put a bilge pad or something in the hull under the oil filter before you remove the oil filter, this will keep your hull clean. If you don't then you'll end up with a puddle of oil in the bottom of your hull, quite messy especially once water starts sloshing around in there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHy View Post
    Here is my rooster tail setup i just did a week ago, about $15 in parts at lowes. 1/2" PVC Reinforced Braided Vinyl Tubing 300psi, 1/2" barb stainless steel valve and stainless steel clamps, in regards to yama oil i got yama oil kit which includes the oil filter for about $35 is that what you consider expensive ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	292851
    Which Lowes did you get that valve at? I've been looking for one locally since the handle on my current one is rusting. I guess I can just order it online...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information