Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Leaving Jetski in Saltwater for a Few Days

Hi, I'm new at this so please pardon the newbie questions. I will be making a trip to the coast in a few weeks and the place we're staying has a boat launch as well as a dock. I have the options of docking them at the end of each day or pulling them out. I know the obvious advantage of pulling them out, flushing and cleaning each day. Would I be doing any great harm in leaving them in the water for three days and then pulling/flushing/cleaning at the end of the third day? Or should I just play it safe and pull them out each day and clean them up.?

+1
    Will 3 days do "great harm"? No.
    Will you start to get some corrosion? Yes, depending on whether the parts are coated or not.
    Just make sure you clean them out really well; there are some products for this like Salt-Away and others which GH members use to reduce corrosion. Salt water is a bitch, no doubt about it.

+1
    I personally would pull them out of the water each day. Don't be lazy.

+1
    I would pull them out, if nothing else for the reason that they might sink. I've seen that a lot. And of course the damage SW does and also gas is cheaper at the gas station.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skipSC View Post
    I would pull them out, if nothing else for the reason that they might sink. I've seen that a lot. And of course the damage SW does and also gas is cheaper at the gas station.
    Good point about the cheaper gas. I'm also concerned about theft. I think pulling/cleaning each day is in order. I do plan to use salt away and hopefully will have the engine coated with something like CRC 656. Thanks for the advice guys.

+1
    Fluid Film works great to spray the engine and pump with if you can pick some up in time for your trip. I also recommend Salt-A-Way, I use it after every ride.

+1
    Turtle wax car wash is as good as salt away. It binds with the salt.

+1
    I left mine in saltwater at a dock for 3 days last summer. Just clean and flush the engine with fresh water as soon as you take it out. I also used CRC 656 on all metal exterior parts and interior fittings etc before and after.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Donkey View Post
    I left mine in saltwater at a dock for 3 days last summer. Just clean and flush the engine with fresh water as soon as you take it out. I also used CRC 656 on all metal exterior parts and interior fittings etc before and after.
    This. 3 days will be fine as long as you clean it up well afterwards. I've done it a couple times, including my trip from NJ to MD - provided your carbon seal doesn't leak or anything like that.

+1
    Mine sits in salt water every weekend to every other. When I pull mine out I wash engine bay and the whole ski. Flush with fresh water and salt away Been doing it for five years I also spray silicone on and around engine bay and Crc on metal on and around ride play. I have a safe place to doc tho and I'm kinda a local so no one messes with my shit. Yes gas is more expensive. I have no corrosion issues but u need to take ur time when pulling it out at the end of the weekend and you'll be fine. The little corrosion you wil see on ride plate just scrape off with a copper brush or something not to abrasive I've had it in for a week a few times but mid way I pull it on a friends jet dock and clean and flush it out just to be safe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information