Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1

Idling with holeshot kit

With the holeshot kits (I'm putting the one from Art/Jetworks on), how much does one have to be concerned about idling for extended periods of time, like through no-wake zones, or simply cruing slow through dock areas?

I really want the arm-stretching 3-5 boatlengths on takeoff that everyone says I'll see, but don't want to have to worry about overheating or burning something up, myself or the occasional person that would ride my 2001 GP1200R.

Thanks

+1
    I am putting one on my gp1300r. I bought the island racing hole shot kit and was told that you have to blip the throttle a couple of times to get some water in the waterbox to keep it cool during long periods of idle. It is supose to open up between/around 2700 - 3000 rpms which your cruising speed will be over these rpms.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACKandSILVER06GPR View Post
    I am putting one on my gp1300r. I bought the island racing hole shot kit and was told that you have to blip the throttle a couple of times to get some water in the waterbox to keep it cool during long periods of idle. It is supose to open up between/around 2700 - 3000 rpms which your cruising speed will be over these rpms.
    I kinda figured that might be the answer and was planning on blipping the throttle a bit in idle situations - good thing I'm taking off my visibility spout when I re-turf - the Lake Ozarks Water Patrol has shown a tendency to gauge how fast a Yamaha is going through a zone by how high the spout is shooting

+1
    Haha yeah im pulling mine off soon too. How do you plan on plugging the output on the pump or are you just taking the hose off and leaving it like that.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00359.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	292881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00791.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	292882

When you have correctly hook up the hose on the jetworks blue valve to the exhaust pipe like in pic 1...you briefly remove it from exhaust barb but its still attached to JW valve on side facing into ski,then and attach a 2 ft similiar hose facing out of ski on JW valve and launch ski BRIEFLY feathering the throttle 2500-3000 rpms...you should see water coming out of hose...that's it...go back to dock and put the original hose that ran from JW valve to exhaust...clamp good...
    Last edited by jetdave56; 02-17-2013 at 09:19 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACKandSILVER06GPR View Post
    Haha yeah im pulling mine off soon too. How do you plan on plugging the output on the pump or are you just taking the hose off and leaving it like that.
    I havent figured out details yet, but yeah hose and outlet on the deck will be gone, and I'll put some kind of cap or shutoff on the pump.

The spout is not a laughing matter to some folks - I know at least to people who've gotten hefty no-wake zone fines from blipping their throttles while otherwise idling through the zones - and the patrol was sitting at a good distance away.

+1
    if your lazy like me take a small drill and punch a hole in bottom hole of gasket,that will allow draining and give some cooling at low speed.but will let some water into box just depends on how long your no wake zone

+1
    Thanks for the info. Have you ever had any problems with the valve itself?

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00359.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	292881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00791.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	292882

When you have correctly hook up the hose on the jetworks blue valve to the exhaust pipe like in pic 1...you briefly remove it from exhaust barb but its still attached to JT valve on side facing into ski,then and attach a 2 ft similiar hose facing out of ski on JT valve and launch ski BRIEFLY feathering the throttle 2500-3000 rpms...you should see water coming out of hose...that's it...go back to dock and put the original hose that ran from JT valve to exhaust...clamp good...

+1
    Its good maintenance to remove valve and flush strongly with tap water once a yr...ck ball on spring inside valve..poke with tiny screwdriver GENTLY to see ball has slight spring action..very important when installing that arrow on blue valve point TOWARDS OUTSIDE OF SKI...

Thread Information