Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 msx 140

Banned User
    +1

2003 msx 140

Ok, the new MSX is home. It is an amazingly beautiful machine. This ski is in near mint condition. It is immaculate clean inside and out. Appears to be almost in showroom new condition. There is one gouge in the hull right above the rub rail, that I intend to repair.

I was able to start the engine and noticed one thing right away. When I hit the throttle, it wanted to die. If I would feather the throttle I can get it to rev up. I am guessing this is not correct. I will try again when everything warms up on it in my garage. Previous owner stated it would show an overheat warning intermittently.

Here are my plans for it right now:

Remove the jet pump and inspect the bearings seals and impeller. I also plan to get the drive shaft out and inspect the through hull bearing assembly.

Remove the fuel pump, and remove the in tank regulator, and instead install the Kawi in line regulator. Eliminate one cause of failure immediately.

I plan to install a pisser for the EMM cooling line, so I can always visually confirm it is getting adequate cooling.

I need to troubleshoot the potential over heat issue. I plan to remove the heads and inspect the cylinders, as well as the cooling jackets in the cylinders and heads.

Just guessing, my concern is that its am EMM problem. Im very serioulsly contemplating just sending it to DFI for testing to confirm everything is ok with it.

If anyone else can offer suggestions as to what needs to be done here, please chime in.

+1
    Cant wait to see that thing

+1
    I would start with your temperature sensor on the exhaust manifold as a potential problem. If I recall correctly the seller had a thread where he mentioned it would go into SLOW but the engine didn't feel hot to touch. If you pull the heads ensure you mark your injectors, they need to go in the same cylinder. Don't freak out at a lean looking set of pistons, just the way it is with the DI.

Banned User
    +1
    I just started it up again in the garage after it had a chance to warm up some, and the throttle response seemed better. I will start digging into it tomorrow night or tuesday.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Special tool needed to unscrew the driveshaft from the drive coupler. Major torque involved

I put an EMM pisser on our MSX 140. Exit is just above the rub rail, where the footwell arcs up high, towards the rear. Had to excavate some floatation foam to get it installed. Used a 90 degree pisser so the water stream just flows along the hull. Subtle, but easy enough for me to monitor.

Engine temp sensor, just get a new/good one.

TPS, always have a new spare on hand.

Remove and check stator water jacket cover. Also make sure those elbow water fittings are clear.

Trace all the water hoses. Check every hose and fitting. Look for kinks in the smaller hoses, especially near the front and under the engine.

Banned User
    +1
    I was actually thinking of using a 45 to help make it easy to see.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I was actually thinking of using a 45 to help make it easy to see.
    Very quickly you will decide that the EMM water flow is normal and not a worry, and after that you will only check it when you have a concern.

Banned User
    +1
    You suggest I just replace the Temp sensor on the exhaust? I plan to buy 2 TPS's so I have a spare, and in case they become hard to get again. Hell, maybe I will buy 3. I just went out in the garage and fired it up. Seemed to run ok, the throttle seems a little funky trying to run it just above idle. No warnings or lights. I need to set myself up with the diagnostic cables so I can see whats going on with the EMM, and read any codes. I am hopefully pulling the heads tonight or tomorrow to have a look and make sure all of the cooling passages are clear.

+1
    I actually have the communication cable I built for my virage. I never hooked up it because my rough idle and dieing out turned out to be a failing emm. Not sure what hooking it up without digital wrench would do. Podiag is very limited in this respect from what I have read and have seen with the little I played with the program. Let me know if you want to try it out.

Banned User
    +1
    I think I found my problem. I went to check out the exhaust temp sensor. After getting that annoying tube out of the way, I reached in and noticed the wires for the sensor were bent at an extreme angle right up against the edge of the hole where the sensor goes in the manifold. I straightened out the wire and could feel a nick in the wire insulation with my fingernail. Unfortunately, I broke the wire right at this point trying to remove the sensor. However, that would explain the intermittent overheat warning the previous owner said it had. If that wire was broken, which I am pretty sure it was, it would have been making intermittent contact. Anyhow, now I need to either repair the wire, or get a new sensor, or most likely what I will do, is both.

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information