Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

96 xp mpem start issues

I bought an old 96 xp for $500. The mount broke and bad noise in pump. PO said he just quit running it and put it on the trailer last spring. battery is toast. Put jump box and it turned over. Check compression, 160. Seems high but it's probably my gauge. It just had top end weisco piston and hotrod crank. Beeper didn't work, so I change it and got the 2 beeps. Lights flash on display and go out as they should. But now I press start button and nada. It doesn't turn over at all. No click no nothing. All fuses good. I get no voltage to trigger wire on relay. Relay is good and when you jump the relay it turns over fine. Switch ohms out good. I hear a relay clicking in the electrical box when I put the battery terminals on and off. What is that relays purpose?
    Does the switch go through the Mpem then to the that relay and then to the solenoid?
    BTW VTS works well.

Thanks for the help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    I bought an old 96 xp for $500. The mount broke and bad noise in pump. PO said he just quit running it and put it on the trailer last spring. battery is toast. Put jump box and it turned over. Check compression, 160. Seems high but it's probably my gauge. It just had top end weisco piston and hotrod crank. Beeper didn't work, so I change it and got the 2 beeps. Lights flash on display and go out as they should. But now I press start button and nada. It doesn't turn over at all. No click no nothing. All fuses good. I get no voltage to trigger wire on relay. Relay is good and when you jump the relay it turns over fine. Switch ohms out good. I hear a relay clicking in the electrical box when I put the battery terminals on and off. What is that relays purpose?
    Does the switch go through the Mpem then to the that relay and then to the solenoid?
    BTW VTS works well.

Thanks for the help.
    Jumping the relay is done to see if the relay is bad. The relay is bad from what you are describing. The relay uses low voltage to trigger the high voltage potential between the starter lead and positive battery terminal. The relay is a bridge/conductor between the two. When u "jump" the relay u are doing the relays job. So i would bet its bad

+1
    Nope. I get no voltage on the yellow red wire when I push the start button. Solenoid will not engage because there is no voltage on the "trigger" wire. The question is: Why isn't there any voltage? I know the yellow/read leaves the mepem to the acc relay and then out. Could this relay be the issue? What is it's purpose? If there is no 12v out of the mpem when I press the start button, is the mpem bad?

+1
    More info. Shaft was broken and he said water came in through the seal. He jump out and pull it to shore. Water got out to 3 inches or so. Drained water and started to blow water out of exhaust. I doubt water got in stator, but maybe. Dont think that would impact the lack of voltage to solenoid though.

When you plug the key in do the lights in the gauge come on? If you do check the start stop button. If thats good start checking the harness.

+1
    As state above. switch is good, lights come on as expected.

Check start stop switch

+1
    Just shooting here, what about dess post could check that or make sure the wiring is okay going to it. If the mpem isn't getting signal it wouldn't start the relay.

I would open up the front grey box and look at that relay that says Aromat on the top of it. Usually you can clearly here it click as it sends the signal to the solenoid in the rear box. Sounds like you already checked the fuse in the top of it. The starter button can be tested by just bridging the wire at the plug on the grey box side. Normally I would say confirm continuity between the ground post in the front box and the engine. And also follow the power on that pinkish wire that comes into the grey box from under the relay, but if you get "beep beep" then you have that.

+1
    So does the power for the mpem come out the wire from the rear electrical box? Apparently I have power to the mpem as I get the beeps and lights when I post.

Matt, so is the relay is part of the circuit to the solenoid? I know it clicks when I hook up the battery. Not sure about when I hit the start button. I would like to know the routing of the circuit for the start sequence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information