Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1

Holeshot kit - best placement of temp sensor?

I've got the holeshot kit from Art at Jetworks - from the instructions I found online Art iinstructs to install the temp sensor into the billet 2-port connector that goes into the exit water line from the top of the pipe. However I also see that others (Fercho?) has a method whereby the sensor is installed into the stinger end about two inches from its original location, after you drill and tap the hole (10-1.25).

I don't have any problem doing either method, although the Jetworks method is obviously easier with one less drill/tap motion involved. For those that HAVE done the holeshot kit (and have real-world experience with it), whats the benefit of either method, or is there any?

Thanks in advance!!

+1
    I like the drilled and tapped method mostly because you don't have another fitting and cut in the water outlet hose. The sensor is also close to its electrical box connection with the mounting on the exhaust pipe. I think its a nicer install, but definately a bit more work. I also drill the water drain outlet on the bottom side of the pipe, and route the hose low thru the boat and to a low mounted pisser in the back by the pump so the engine and exhaust pipe drain more completely.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    I like the drilled and tapped method mostly because you don't have another fitting and cut in the water outlet hose. The sensor is also close to its electrical box connection with the mounting on the exhaust pipe. I think its a nicer install, but definately a bit more work. I also drill the water drain outlet on the bottom side of the pipe, and route the hose low thru the boat and to a low mounted pisser in the back by the pump so the engine and exhaust pipe drain more completely.
    The billet piece has two holes already, its not another fitting. The wire just had to be taken out of two or three zip ties to get the length necessary to get to the other location.

The sensor in the exit hose seems to actually test the water temp closer to the motor, instead of down at the end of the stinger. I guess I'm wondering if that would be a more optimum location?

I do appreciate the response - I thought more would give their findings.

+1
    Do not ignore LT1GMC.....He knows his stuff. On two strokes, he is a great tuner.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cmgww View Post
    Do not ignore LT1GMC.....He knows his stuff. On two strokes, he is a great tuner.
    Not ignoring him. I respect his advice. I now have YET ANOTHER method of doing this mod - trying to decipher which is best.

+1
    Hello showmepro1200, how often do you get to LOZ ? and do you have a place on the lake? I live here and are always looking for more riders. I have a GP1200 R and GP1300R always tinkering to push them higher ! Drop a line you would be welcome

+1
    Make it easier for yourself and do the Fercho version....tap the pipe for the temp sensor on the raised boss...so in all you will be making two new holes and retaping a third hole where temp sensor use to be to put a barb fitting for the JW line to feed water into the WB...as to the outlet water line hose...top or bottom doesn't matter as water pressure from not being able to exit conventionally thru WB will be forced out thru a hose toback of boat then exiting..I used a stealth Y fitting tieing it into outlet waterline from top outlet hose..Its all about keeping WB dry during idling or very light throttle, and then cooling the WB and end hose with fresh cool water when get above 2500- 3000 rpms..
    Last edited by jetdave56; 02-19-2013 at 03:46 PM.

+1
    Here's the Fercho diagram I found. This might help you out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	292942

+1
    What I meant by fitting is although billet, it is a water hose fitting which requires you to cut the water outlet hose in half, 2 more hose clamps, 2 more spots for a potential problem, and its kinda clunky looking, if its anything like one of mine.

The billet piece has two holes already, its not another fitting. The wire just had to be taken out of two or three zip ties to get the length necessary to get to the other location.

The sensor in the exit hose seems to actually test the water temp closer to the motor, instead of down at the end of the stinger. I guess I'm wondering if that would be a more optimum location?

I do appreciate the response - I thought more would give their findings.

+1
    Thanks all - I have the concept mastered - its just that there's a number of ways of accomplishing this modification. I spoke with Art at Jetworks this afternoon, I think I know which way I'm going now. I am stoked to see how my machine responds to this come Spring.

OzarkYamMonster - sent you a PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information