+1

SHO engine replating

Bought a 2011 SHO engine with 0 hours from a dealer fire. Engine turned over fine at that time. Made sure it had oil and sat from last season. Got it recently cleaned up getting it ready to go and took back to the shop where they found rust in #1 cylinder. Made a call to Millenium and for 450 will renick the cylinders. Can't do just one they said as the whole block has to be dipped and would strip the other cylinders. At this point, would it be cost effective as the bottom end is 100 perfect and head ok to get it done or not as the ski I'm getting has years of YES warranty and it was originally to be a potential back up to my then 08 SHO? Anyone with SHO build experience has input?

Quote Originally Posted by leejax01 View Post
    Bought a 2011 SHO engine with 0 hours from a dealer fire. Engine turned over fine at that time. Made sure it had oil and sat from last season. Got it recently cleaned up getting it ready to go and took back to the shop where they found rust in #1 cylinder. Made a call to Millenium and for 450 will renick the cylinders. Can't do just one they said as the whole block has to be dipped and would strip the other cylinders. At this point, would it be cost effective as the bottom end is 100 perfect and head ok to get it done or not as the ski I'm getting has years of YES warranty and it was originally to be a potential back up to my then 08 SHO? Anyone with SHO build experience has input?
    Is the rust from the rings. I had a ultra that sat all winter with water in the engine, the crank seized and the rings rusted but the cylinders cleaned up with some muratic acid. Plated cylinders usually dont rust up.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    The cylinders are sleeved a light honing might get rid of the rust as long as it's not to deep.

I don't think they are plated cylinders. They are sleeves that damn near impossible to see except for using a magnet. Like Jim said, try honing it first.

+1
    Have to go take a look hopefully later today to check the pits. Hopefully a hone will get it. If not, anyone had an in line replate done by Millennium?

+1
    Made a call to Millenium and for 450 will renick the cylinders.
    As others have mentioned the cylinders are not nikasiled. Honing should do the job.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Made a call to Millenium and for 450 will renick the cylinders.
    As others have mentioned the cylinders are not nikasiled. Honing should do the job.
    Try Flex-Honing, super easy, if needs more, then full machine hone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	293033

+1

A pic from what the mechanic sent. Can't see much though

+1
    A pic from what the mechanic sent. Can't see much though[/QUOTE]

FLEX HONE IS THE BEST !

Thread Information