Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar

Shop Dolly/Cart for wrenching.

I finally got my shop dolly built / completed today. I had looked in these forums for instructions but nothing I found really pleased me so I designed my own, which I would like to share with others. I have pictures below to show my work.

I designed my cart to be easily movable, stable, and easy to work with. I chose to use 2"x2" steel square for my project, as it provides a very solid base for my ski.

The base is 3' wide x 4' long with 4" caster/swivel wheels on each corner. I used (4) 8" angle cut pieces (weld straight up) to support the bunker boards. Then I welded a pice of flat steel (2"x4") to the top of each of the angle cut pieces to attatch the 2x4's. The 2x4's (which are 4'6" in length) are attatched using 10mm carraige bolts (1 each corner). You need to countersink the bolt holes to get them down below the surface where your ski will sit(shown in a photo below). After drilling and countersinking bolt holes I covered the bunkboards with marine grade carpet, and nailed them on the bottom of the board with a 3/8" piece of plywood (use, which is cut to 4'5"x3" to fit just smaller than the 2x4. Attatch the bunks and you're done.

Sorry about the poor quality of photos... was using night mode on my camera and wasn't still with the camera.

If you have all of your tools/supplies this shouldn't take more than 2 hrs

ENJOY-

The cart looks great!! Very strong looking. But the car behind it with the wheels missing has seen better days. If it wasnt for shipping, you could sell those carts for nice coin with that build quality.

you're right, they would sell well but there is no way I could ship these for a reasonable price. I may paint it this summer and clean up the weld beads on a rainy day but it will work for now. I plan on putting blocks under it so it doesn't roll while i'm working, The 4 swivels really help for easy mobility. I thought about 2 swivel and 2 unidirection but this works out better. thanks for your comment.

ah yes, the cars... my dad is changing the cavaliers' motor. We got the Corsica at an auction for 200, he's probably used over 1500 bux in parts off of it... From the airbags to the windshield to tires, brake rotors, 2axles, shift cable, to the passenger door, and now the motor for the cavi.
    Last edited by IowanGPR; 02-19-2007 at 12:02 AM.

Yeah, I like the 4 swivel route better also. In fact I might make one just like it. Thanks for the post.

btw, I was just playing about the car. If I didnt do it somebody else would have. Lots of smart a$$es on here, but its all in fun.

I can take a little heck, I give it out enough! I tried to keep them out of the picture as much as I could but oh well hope your build goes well. If you need more specific measurements just PM, otherwise goodluck.

+1
    How thick is the metal?

Thinking about copying your cart.

How much do you think you have in just the metal?

You've been "sticky'd"!

+1
    Mark the steel is 1/8" thk shows it in the birthmark in one of the photos. I would say you could get the steel for about $40. Thinking about a cart for the Big Ski? I would double up the long cross members and evenly space them if you are.

Nice Job IowanGPR
    Last edited by OsideBill; 02-19-2007 at 09:17 AM.

+1
    That's the plan, Bill. Will put a winch out the back of it too. These BOATS are getting to big to push around.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys View Post
    That's the plan, Bill. Will put a winch out the back of it too. These BOATS are getting to big to push around.
    I was thinking the same thing. I mounted a winch to the wall in the shop, so I can back the trailer up a few feet from it then winch it back when I need to work underneath. I figured I would put the cart in front of the winch on the wall and winch it onto the cart the same way.

+1
    I think the Ultra would pull the winch off the wall.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information