Who rebuild questions

Doing a rebuild on my 120 hour fzr engine after clutch tooth failure. Had wavy bores so the rotating group is all getting upgraded and block bored .020 over.

But what about my head? Anything in particular I need to do?

So far my plan was just valve seals, springs and maybe cam gears. Valve set of course. I'm happy with everything else but am at a loss for how far to go with top end.

Doug

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug78 View Post
    Doing a rebuild on my 120 hour fzr engine after clutch tooth failure. Had wavy bores so the rotating group is all getting upgraded and block bored .020 over.

But what about my head? Anything in particular I need to do?

So far my plan was just valve seals, springs and maybe cam gears. Valve set of course. I'm happy with everything else but am at a loss for how far to go with top end.

Doug
    If you have wavy cylinder have the head checked for straightness might need to be milled a couple thousands just to get it straight.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug78 View Post

Doug
    Did you notice any performance issues that you thought were related to the wavy bores? What prompted you to even look at the bore dimensions-just a general check up? Did you have GIO during the life of the engine?

I did the tear down after I cut open my oil filter and found metal on either side of the filter (gear tooth failure) It didnt take measuring to notice the wavy bores. Never had any GIO issues, never had the oil climb the dipstick. My ski never had the top speed I wanted, but I always blamed the 160mm prop being over pitched. Last compression check was all within spec. Only number 2 and 3 where wavy and I had the whole block fitted for .020 over cp pistons. Found particles in crank and rod bearings and some marks on the crank journals. Crank polished fine and is supposed to be within facory specs. Will be plastigauging everything. Cams where clean, nothing made it to the top end.

Thread Information