Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Almost's GP1200R Project

Finally starting a project thread to cover my endless tinkering. Better late then never right?

I first bought this ski back in May 2010 from a member here on Greenhulk from a guy who getting rid of 2 GPR's. I bought a pretty bone stock 2001 GPR off him with a 113 hours with a d plate and ppk. I could not have picked a better ski, It was garage kept by a guy that was the most anal person I have ever met. EVERYTHING the guy owned was immaculate to his 96 corvette with 7k miles on original tires to a 2000 silverado that was garage kept and never saw the rain. After having the carbs rebuilt I rode it that first summer for 60 plus hard hours all trouble free. In spring of 2011 my luck abruptly ran out and my GPR spun a ring in the 3rd cylinder. At the time I had no money to rebuild it or the confidence to to rebuild it myself and I bagged my season and waited for winter.

During last winter I got in contact with Carl at Island Racing to do a full rebuild as he was some one known in the GPR world and was someone I could trust. His work is top notch and he is a stand up dude and knows his way around a GPR. I talked to him about about pump work, but ultimately decided to hold off as he was starting to get busy and I was just getting anxious to get out on the water. After breaking it and starting to have real fun I put 13 hours on it before the driveshafts gave out and left me stranded in the ocean for about 45 min while my dads friend came to tow me in.

This summer I was super busy and poor doing an unpaid internship and never had time to tear it apart and get in to it till the end of summer. At that point I decided to redo everything in the pump in and out and make sure nothing else can go wrong. I stripped pump completely down and had each piece blasted in a parts cleaner at my old job and primed and painted them black. I got all new bearings, driveshafts and seals. I also bought a skat 13/19,1200 grate and new brackets. The only other thing I need is COCO's pump reenforcement or fiberglass. Haven't decided on which route I'm going to take.

To do list(Im sure I am missing something)
    -Finish rebuilding pump
    -Replace mid shaft and bearings
    -Pump reinforcement and brackets.
    -Seal up pump shoe and transom plate
    -Put everything back together
    -Hydroturf mats

Here is pictures from the day I picked it up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	293611

Name:	image-1.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	293612

Picture from last spring.

Name:	image-5.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	293613
    Last edited by Almost; 02-27-2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Pictures

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    I know I'm going to remember after you tell me, but whats a ppk?

Never mind I found it - Pump Plug Kit

+1
    If you need new motor mounts, hit me up, I have a set of 4 that are almost new.

It's always good to put newer parts in when you re-build imo. If you need anything in used parts let me know.

+1
    Tomorrow I'm heading back down to my dads to work on the ski. Not sure what I'm going to work on or get done, but I'll do something. I'm all over the place. I would like to get the mid shaft all done and back in the ski and get the engine all put back and bolted up so I can start prepping the back for the brackets and pump reinforcement.

Last week I spent more time on that front mount bolt then I would have liked, but I was able to get it out like I mentioned before with a soldering gun and a little bit of luck. Heres a pic of me getting gun there and another pic I snapped that day.

Name:	image-9.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	293614

Name:	image-13.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	293615

Question is this metal plate under this mount supposed to be the shim? This is the only one I have, none under the other mounts.

Name:	image-17.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	293616

Here is my mid-shaft. I'm guessing it's not supposed to look like this and could have used a little grease huh? I forgot to take a pic of the coupler, but it looked like it had quite a bit of corrosion in the middle. Is there supposed to be a hole in the center of this coupler or is it supposed to be solid like the one on the crank? Is this thing going to be good to go after I clean it up and press in a new shaft, bearing and seals? The rubber looks a little deformed.

Name:	image-21.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	293617

Name:	image-16.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	293618

Update: I will definitely need a new mid shaft bearing housing thing. The metal liner is corroded. The whole thing just looks like crap and doesn't look like driveshafts have ever been apart. Anyone have a any good used ones?
    Last edited by Almost; 02-27-2013 at 02:28 PM.

+1
    Last I just wanted to show a pic of the stand I'm working on. I see a lot of homemade stands on here that although are great designs they are just way to over engineered. Here is a very simple stand made out of 4 4x4's, bolts and caster wheels and that's it. You can cut the bunks on the inside at an angle if you want and carpet them or put plastic fence post covers on it like this version. I borrowed this one from local shop near by that I'm friends with, but I plan on making my own if they ever ask for it back .

Name:	image-20.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	293620

Banned User
    +1
    that metal plate is not the shim. thats the motor mount bracket. the shim is u shaped under the bottom case.
    your drive shaft looks like salt water got into it, not good. check ebay or here for a good used one or rebuild yours

+1
    I have the pump shoe with seal off my old GPR! Lmk if ur interested

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    that metal plate is not the shim. thats the motor mount bracket. the shim is u shaped under the bottom case.
    your drive shaft looks like salt water got into it, not good. check ebay or here for a good used one or rebuild yours
    Hmm, then I should have one of those brackets under each mount then, no? I only have one. There is nothing under the other mounts. I have everything to rebuild it but the inner liner were the shaft and bearings are pressed in to looks like it has corrosion. I will know more today when I pull it apart.

Banned User
    +1
    I'd your aligned properly you may not need shims. Some skis will have more or less shims than others. They are between the engine mount and rubber monkey mount. Stainless steel unshaped pcs

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    I'd your aligned properly you may not need shims. Some skis will have more or less shims than others. They are between the engine mount and rubber monkey mount. Stainless steel unshaped pcs
    Got that part, but it looks like I'm missing the metal motor mount brackets under the rubber mount itself. The one in the picture I posted is the only one I have. How come I don't have 1 under each of the other mounts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information