Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

00 SLX1200 charging prob..

Hi all,

I just brought a SLX (unknown history) with a charging problem. I've opened up the black electrical box and found the red/purple wire entering from the stator loom cut in half which I found
    odd. Could this be the problem?

Thanks

+1
    The red/purple wire coming from the stator is a coil, possibly a charging coil which could be your problem. It shouldn't be cut. I would plug that back in to any empty red/purple terminal on the electrical box - you will need to crimp a terminal end on that cable - if it isn't long enough then solder an extension and use heat shrink over the top of the joined wire. There is a service bulleting mod that suggests plugging in the red/purple wire into an orange terminal - but that is the red/purple from the CDI not from the stator. I wonder if someone botched it up??? Post up some clear pics of what you are looking at it will help.

Banned User
    +1
    Definitely post a pic. The red/purple wire is the positive battery wire after the circuit breaker. Does your bilge pump or MFD power up?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Before you reconnect that Red/Purple stator wire,check it for correct ohm readings.

There are two measurements. First disconnect the Yellow stator wire, that is the other end of the stator charging coil. Disconnect the battery too, just to be safe.

Now measure ohms between the stator Yellow wire and Red/Purple wire. Should be a fraction of an ohm. Meter accuracy varies, but you should see a reading greater than zero and less than 1 ohm.

Next, measure ohms between both Yellow and Red/Purple to engine ground. This should read no connection, infinite ohms, open circuit. Keep your fingers off the meter probes to improve measurement accuracy.

If both the above readings are correct, then reconnect the stator Red/Purple wire to the Red/Purple terminal in the electrical box. Also reconnect the Yellow wire to Yellow terminal.

Now reconnect the battery. If there is a strong spark at the battery post, it is possible the LR voltage regulator module has gone bad. It is also connected to Yellow. Disconnect battery, disconnect LR module, try again.

Thanks for the replies.

Photo of the cut wire:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	293229

Otherside:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0935.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	293230

Thanks for your help K447. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Banned User
    +1
    It appears to me that wire was cut from the connector that has the 2 wires that then lead to the circuit breaker. That should be reconnected. Unless Im not seeing the picture correctly, its hard to tell.

yeah, it was connected to the wire between the breaker and CDI.

The results between the red/purple and yellow wire, 0.8. And no connection when testing them to ground.

I have reconnected the wire and it's still not charging. I'm thinking about pulling the motor this weekend and have the stator rewound. Before I do this, is there
    any other tests I can do to confirm the stator is the problem?

Cheers

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I would be checking to see what (if any at all ) the a/c voltage coming off the stator coils is when the engine is running before eve thinking about pulling the engine and going to the expense of having the stator repaired. without fail a wire trace would be advised..could be a harness fault.

In regards to the cut wire..a lame attempt at sabotage if you ask me..but only if the ski was purchased at auction or was a repo.

Did that model have the cdi/sleep issue..that's the only other reason I can ponder for that wire cut...cdi flattening the battery by never switching off..or was that the restart problem?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by saint_nz View Post
    yeah, it was connected to the wire between the breaker and CDI.

The results between the red/purple and yellow wire, 0.8. And no connection when testing them to ground.

I have reconnected the wire and it's still not charging.

I'm thinking about pulling the motor this weekend and have the stator rewound. Before I do this, is there any other tests I can do to confirm the stator is the problem?

Cheers
    I think you just confirmed the stator is NOT the problem. An AC voltage test with the engine running would confirm the stator is indeed generating AC voltage (probably lots of it). You have the correct ohm readings, so I would think the stator is good.

The LR voltage rectifier module may have gone bad. If it fails, you will not have charging. There is no simple bench test for an LR module, other than installing another one to see if it works properly.

Also, see the Service Bulletin PWC-00-05 regarding a wiring change to correct a no-warm-restart problem on some CDI. Details via my signature links.

At idle, I probed the red/purple and yellow wire on the terminal board and found a reading between 18v and 24v. Does this sound about right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information