Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which would you rather? 1994 Polaris Sl 750 or 1997 Polaris SL 700?

I'm new to PWC's and I just got a 1997 Polaris Sl 700 and a 1994 Polaris SL 750. Both are currently not running. I would like to keep one and sell the other but which one would you choose? Both are in great shape with no damage to the hulls. The 1994 750 currently cranks but doesn't have spark. The 1997 700 doesn't crank (won't know until I take off the head to see what's wrong). But out of the 2, which would you keep and which would you sell? I really like the SL750 however its also 3 years older than the 700. I know the 750 has the Fuji motor and the 700 has the domestic motor but which engine was more reliable? Which one is easier to maintain? Thanks for any help or opinions!

Banned User
    +1
    I think the 700 is an awesome little motor. You will have a higher top end speed most likely with the 700. The bottom end acceleration will probably be snappier with the 750 however. The domestics with the updated ignition are reliable, not so much if it has the original ignition. Ignition updates should soon be available according to a little birdie. If it were me I would pick the 700, but neither would be a bad choice.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I think the 700 is an awesome little motor...
    That 700 twin is a well understood engine, and can be tuned nicely.

Excellent fuel economy too.

Welcome to the hulk

Thanks guys. I'm still currently doing research and reading through all the articles on these pwc's. I'm still having a tough time trying to figure out which one I'd rather keep. As far as looks go, I know I'd rather keep the SL750 with the red, black and white color scheme. The 700 has the bluish/purple, white lavender scheme that isn't all too pleasing to me. But I know it's whats underneath that I should be more concerned about. What also concerns me about the 700 is why it doesn't crank. I just hope its not seized and it's just frozen from sitting. Keep the opinions coming!! I'd like to hear your experiences with either of them.

(by the way, I also have a 1993 Seadoo XP 650 that was given to me but it's also not running. I think I'm going to sell that as well and keep one of the Polaris'. But if you have any experience with the XP, I'd also like to hear your comparison with that and the Polaris 750 or 700).

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    IMO domestics are easier to work on and a two cylinder is gonna be cheaper to fix/tune/maintain.

BUT - it depends on what's wrong with each - I would start by diagnosing both to get to the problem with each, then evaluate - hard to make a judgment without knowing all the variables.

Similar performance between the two - part availability is about the same - I prefer the 750 look too

Banned User
    +1
    I did a full rebuild recently on a 700 for around 600 bucks. A 750 would cost around 900 to rebuild.

+1
    More then Likely the 700 is locked up as a piston or bearing blew apart and if this is the case the motor is done for,also if the 700 had water DMG the motor will be done for as well do to rust locking the motor up, the SL 750 CDI is bad more then likely is the cause for no spark, the Stators are built pretty well its just the CDIs that go bad in them Most of the time, Test your Stator, if its good drop a CDI in it and you should be good to go, I have a CDI for that 750 If you find out that I am right, Plus latter down the road if you need to rebuild the 750, you can upgrade it to a 780 top end.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Depends on how much you want to spend fixing one of these. The 750 and 700 are pretty close power wise. Which engine is in better shape? I would rebuild whichever one has a good crankshaft, if neither I would rebuild the 700.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    Depends on how much you want to spend fixing one of these. The 750 and 700 are pretty close power wise. Which engine is in better shape? I would rebuild whichever one has a good crankshaft, if neither I would rebuild the 700.
    If it were Me I would stick with the 700.

Well it seems the majority of you would rather have the 700 over the 750. Unfortunately since the 700's engine won't turn over, I can't run a compression test on it. I'll have to pull the heads to see what kind of damage there is. With that said, since the 750 has good compression across all three cylinders, I think I'm going to keep that one and re-do the fuel lines and clean out the carbs and find a used cdi unit to test for spark. Also since the 700 doesn't have the MFD, I have no idea how many hours are on the ski (is there a way to retrofit an mfd to a ski that didn't originally have one?) I guess now it's just a matter of time of whether or not I'm going to sell the 700 as a whole or part it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information