Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2013: VXR vs FX HO vs FX Cruiser HO

So I bought a 2011 VXR new, it's a great ski, it has lots of power. Not that I'm into racing, I'm just looking for a good recreational ski that doesn't need much maintenance.

Now I'm in the market for a second ski, so I was thinking one of 2013 VXR , FX HO or FX Cruiser HO. I'm not too worried about price since I'll likely own it for like 10 years and I have a trailer.

I really like the VXR in yellow, although I haven't seen one in person I've seen the videos and pictures and I think it looks fantastic. I have a VXR so I know it will be a solid ride, really this is the one I'm leaning toward buying but I fell like it might be a bit "boring" to own 2 the same.

I briefly checked out the FX HO and FX Cruiser HO. Honestly I'm not sure what the difference is aside from it looks like they have trim and neutral. Is that pretty much the difference? I'm not interested in modding at all.

I guess I should also mention I haven't really ruled out any other Waverunner models, however I really hadn't considered the supercharged model because I hear they are a bit more maintenance, and will of course cost more to winterize, etc.

Thoughts? Comments?
    Last edited by Swanny; 02-22-2013 at 03:17 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post

I briefly checked out the FX HO and FX Cruiser HO. Honestly I'm not sure what the difference is aside from it looks like they have trim and neutral. Is that pretty much the difference? I'm not interested in modding at all.
    Difference to the VXR? The hull, that is the big difference............the HO is a much bigger ski, so is a little slower then the VXR, expect a top speed of 61-63 mph, but it comes into it's own when the going gets choppy or rough. The hull handles the rough really well, but yet the HO is still very nimble to turn & throw around.....I have said it before, but Yamaha have worked wonders with this hull.......it really does not feel as big as it is!

+1
    If you already own VXR I'd get the FX HO to compliment it nicely. There are plenty of choppy days or ocean riding when it'd be nice to trade the VXR for the FX. You gotta figure that in chop you likely will not be doing WOT runs to top end speed isn't as big of a factor...

since you already have the VXR for calm water speed get a HO cruiser to balance it out.the HO cruiser will store more fuel,carry more people,have more gadgets,and handle the rough better.

+1
    You are getting good advice here...
    the FX series hulls have always been great in the chop so that should definitely be a consideration.

But I really really really like the yellow I'm not ever in much chop because I ride in a small lake but there are windy days that are fun. I'll definitely consider the FX...

I guess I could add a bit more detail. I plan on pulling something behind it, some kind of tube, on occasion. I'm not worried about top-end as I don't go full out all that much.

Does the FX / Cruiser HO feel a lot bigger than the VXR? I went from a GP760 which is super nimble to the VXR and it felt waaaay bigger. Because it is! It's not that bad, it's bigger but so much more powerful that that helps make up for it.

+1
    I'd recommend the FX HO. Skip the supercharger, and skip the cruiser seat.
    Yes, it's going to feel much bigger than the vxr, but it has a much more comfortable riding position. You really should try to test drive one!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    But I really really really like the yellow I'm not ever in much chop because I ride in a small lake but there are windy days that are fun. I'll definitely consider the FX...

I guess I could add a bit more detail. I plan on pulling something behind it, some kind of tube, on occasion. I'm not worried about top-end as I don't go full out all that much.

Does the FX / Cruiser HO feel a lot bigger than the VXR? I went from a GP760 which is super nimble to the VXR and it felt waaaay bigger. Because it is! It's not that bad, it's bigger but so much more powerful that that helps make up for it.
    Then if you love the yellow and you're not worried about ocean riding get a 2013 FZS in YELLOW! Problem solved, the FX is going to be way too big and boring for what you want to use it for while the FZS has a tow hook and is plenty nimble in addition to being much quicker.

+1
    The VXR and FX are 2 totally different riding skis. The FX is 12 feet long, it's like a mini boat... lol. It's much more comfortable of a ride compared to the VX hull like everyone said. If you already own a VX go for the FX.

Since you are on the lake I would go for another Vxr because the HO's need to be in rough waters to really enjoy them.
    I own a Vxr and live in sFL and its tough on the Vxr when the ocean is running 10-16 foot seas. Just my $.02

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information