Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

seadoo xp 657 help

im new to this thing but could do with some help i recently bought a seadoo xp 1994 657 as a project. bought as a runner and was going to make a few cosmetic changes but after i got it home i found that it was not a runner at all i foolishly bought it with out hearing it start and was under the impression by the seller that it only needed a battery so like a kid with a new toy i ran down the motor factors and picked up a battery hooked it up and low and behold all i got was a clonk under further invsetigation i found that the pump had seized so with a lot of messing about and a workshop manual i had a puller made up and removed the pump and performed a pump rebuild. next thing before putting the jet pump back on i tried to start the engine but failed. great spark but no fuel so im assuming the is a fuel pump in the tank??? workshop manual calles it a baffle pump am i right here that it is a fuel pump or not?? anyways after looking around at it more as it was not sold honestly i find more faults, engine mounts are shot and vts cable has blown from salt corosion and split and under ferther invstigation ive found a lot of corrosion inside the engine from not being flushed out after salt water use. now where do i go from here?? i feel like the is a lot of work to be done now to get it going and as i live in the uk parts localy are limited and being an old ski they dont seem to be worth a lot anyways. any one on here got any good advise for me ?

+1
    Good luck. These old ski will nickel a dime you to death. It hard to justify putting money in something like that. I have a 95 xp 720 and lately having allot of maintenance too. It not that fast and under powered, But I have allot of fun on it. I am going to try to sell it for $800 this year.

I'd like to say that I've had a lot of fun on it too but it just seems that that will be a long way away. It's where do you draw the line not only that no one local wants to work on them cuz of lack knowledge so I'm doing it all myself and its time money and where do you stop? It's not worth anything to anyone as it is so what do you do?

The baffle has no pump. The pump is attached to the Msg garb. Pull and clean the carbs.

+1
    If you can do it all yourself you can restore that whole machine for not a lot of money. How does your legal system work over there? Here you could just go to small claims court and make him buy it back then keep looking. Otherwise take this "opportunity" to learn your ski inside and out. I just put a whole gutted out ski back together this weekend. You can pull the motor, tear it down, clean sandblast and paint, put back together with new seals and gaskets, flush all the dirt and grime out of the hull, reinstall motor with new mounts, rebuild carbs, and replace fuel lines, and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing you did it all yourself. Anybody here can help you through any stage of of the process, it's really not that difficult. Keep track of which motor mount shims go where and you can use a steering wheel/damper puller to remove the flywheel. You can use a big 'ol pipe wrench, or chain wrench & cheater pipe to remopve the PTO but you will need a big guy to help hold the engine still if it's already removed from the hull.

Wire4money sorry it's probably British lingo but what's a Mgs garb?? Myself thanks for the advise I think I probably will keep her and do something with it only downside for me is that I don't have a garage and with British weather being like it is I've got to do it between our bad weather. So might take a bit linger either that or get myself a workshop somewhere. Thanks guys

+1
    I use to work out of a 8x10 storage shed. Now I'm in a 12x18 buildiing with concrete floor and have broken ground for a 30x48 shop starting soon. I restored a dirtbike in our spare room right after we bought the house!

Ive had my daughters quad bike apart in the kitchen before now much to my good ladies disgust. its just i don't like doing it in the house as Im liable to make a mess i will just have to get on with it if i wanna show it the water this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by surferdudegav View Post
    Wire4money sorry it's probably British lingo but what's a Mgs garb?? Myself thanks for the advise I think I probably will keep her and do something with it only downside for me is that I don't have a garage and with British weather being like it is I've got to do it between our bad weather. So might take a bit linger either that or get myself a workshop somewhere. Thanks guys
    It's auto correct. That should be mag carb.

Thanks for that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information