Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Used GP1300R Questions

Hi folks, I'm waltinbatonrouge. I love yamaha products and am looking at a used Yamaha GP1300R with a trailer as a project bike. (do you guys call them bikes or boats?)

Here's my story....I did Avionics work on F4-J's with the Marine Corps during the Vietnam war.

and just retired from a technical sales job after 35 years in August of 2012.
    And I've twisted wrenches for fun for most of the 40 years.
    I just love it..Mostly on anything electromechanical that is well built. I've done much work on MB and BMW cars as a hobbyist, kept 2 '96 waverunners and waveraiders running for my family
    I moved to Yamaha ATV's and just sold my 4th Yamaha Grizzly (a 660 Hunter) renovation project. I buy and rebuild Stihl chainsaws as well as other cool stuff.
    Active on grizzlycentral.com

I just bought a Scag 35hp 61" Turf Tiger from a pawnshop as a project that I am about finished with and will sell later in the spring.

Well, a friend told me about a Yamaha Waverunner GP1300R that is for sale...
    The bike took a slight 6" ding to the very front tip so some hull work is in order...however when i pulled the seat off the engine looks new...

I see the guy selling it on Monday to check the title to determine the actual year model, but its a white hull with a purple seat..

He's says it runs fine, has low hours, and inherited it...But the battery is dead... He's asking $750 for it with the trailer that also looks especially clean.
    I plan to bring a hot 12v battery and some fresh fuel with me and see if I can get the engine to pop off.

I'll find a Yamaha Factory Service manual as soon as I determine what year it is..
    I use Yamaha parts, Factory Service manuals ONLY, a torque wrench and use a Fluke 77III DVM..just to round out the picture.

but meanwhile ...Can you offer ANY tips to help me to determine whether this beast is worth fooling with...I'll post pics on Monday as well that I'll upload to photobucket for your viewing pleasure...

thanks very much for any advice and I'm happy to trade any info on Grizzly's, Scags or Stihl's...

waltinbatonrouge
    Last edited by waltinbatonrouge; 02-24-2013 at 09:35 AM.

+1
    Wow, if it is a GP1300R, what year is it .... well no matter, that price even with out trailer .... is very low if has engine & is entact! If is a running GP1300, you got yourself a steal of a deal It post some pics when you get it. Goodluck. I too have an GP1300R but I paid few $K more though.

+1
    With your skill set you will have no problem tearing into a GPR and you have come to the right place. You will find everything you need to know about a GPR here and much more. By what your describing it sounds like a 03. OEM Yamaha parts are the only way to go so you are on the right path. In running condition it will be worth around 3-5k depending on ski year, condition and time of year. Non running GPR's usually go for under $1,000. The GPR hull is one of a kind so if you plan on keeping it for yourself your going to have a blast. If you are rebuilding it to sell it I would pass, as rebuilds can get expensive. If you can get a hold of a compression gauge you will know your answer right away.

Welcome to the Hulk.

+1
    the last two numbers tell you what year it is, good luck and keep us upto speed on your new project,

wow guys thanks for the quick and thorough replies. I'll bring my compression gauge with me...
    will send pics and numbers on Monday...
    Its got a current year registration and current year trailer plate so I'm thinking the beast may be salvagable!

i read that an '03 GP has 165 HP!..thats a wee bit more sparkle than the 2 cylinder 50 or so hp in bro in laws waveraider...whoppee!!!

kinda getting excited!!!

waltinbatonrouge
    Last edited by waltinbatonrouge; 02-24-2013 at 09:36 AM.

I downloaded the Yamaha FSM..

printed the electrical section, read it and am heading out now to poop and snoop...

later

walt

+1
    Hey, I hope that means ... looking & figuring whats-up with the ski Ha Ha ! Good luck remember to send pics as soon as you get them courious as to how great a find you got

+1
    Walt, I live in BR. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

+1
    do you guys call them bikes or boats?
    Bikes have wheels

10. +1 by:

+1
    Boats Float.. Most of the time..

Walt Welcome to the Hulk..
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    do you guys call them bikes or boats?
    Bikes have wheels

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information