Help with Leakdown results

Guys,

I am looking for some advice. I just completed replacing my chain on a 2006 RXP. I pulled the engine out and was ready to put it back in when I decided to do a leakdown test. I did the test with the both the cam and crank locks installed. My readings were 97%, 82% and 84%. The cylinders in the 80% were both porting air out of the oil fill cap. I am assuming it is leaking by the rings. While I have it out should i take it apart again and replace the rings. I am unsure how accurate the results are since the engine is cold and drained of oil. Will it seal better with oil. What are your thoughts.

+1
    You should leak test with piston on top dead center. I always remove the rocker shaft and move each piston up and do one at a time.

I thought the purpose of being TDC was so the piston would not move and open any valves. My locks are in place to ensure the pistons do not move and the air is not exiting the intake or exhaust so I think the readings are good. I was unsure if any lubrication would help seal it.

The reason you are supposed to read each cylinder at TDC is because that point is where most cylinder wear occurs. It is your worst case point.

I redid the cylinders based on TDC. The numbers went to 95%, 75%, & 84%. I also checked compression and it was 120 psi, 60 psi, & 90 psi. There is definite leakage through the cylinder. Does this mean I should just replace the rings and inspect the cylinders or am missing something doing this with the engine dry and cold.

+1
    95% are the pistons installed

I am sorry. These are -100. Thus, it would be 5%, 25% and 16% leakage.

+1
    damn 60 psi? bent rod, bent valve(s), damaged seat(s). I will be following this post to see what you come up with.

I redid the leakdown test with the crank split. There is steady air through two of the cylinders. I will pull the pistons next week. Can they be pulled from the bottom?

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by brl96 View Post
    I redid the leakdown test with the crank split. There is steady air through two of the cylinders. I will pull the pistons next week. Can they be pulled from the bottom?
    No only from the top I am afraid.

Thread Information