Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

speedster upgrade stereo system

I have a 09 150 speedster 255hp. I want to upgrade the stereo and have lots of questions. I am thinking of running a 5 channel amp from MTX to power 4 speakers and 1 10" sub. Also would like to put wakeboard tower speaker on.

Questions:
    1. Where can I mount the 10" sub and does it need to be a shallow mount
    2. Where can I mount the amp. The MTX one is 15" long. Also MB Quartz has one that is 20" long
    3. What speakers should I use for the 6.5". Familiar with Polk, JL and Memphis. Want some to go into existing holes in between back seats that will fit.
    4. The other 2 6.5 speaker should go where in the boat?
    5. Will I be OK with current battery?
    6. Tower Speakers Mounting. Any suggestions of mounting or brand?

Thanks for all your help. Just trying to narrow down my decisions. Any pictures would help.

+1
    Your going to kill the battery....And adding a second or battery isnt going to help...

+1
    ouch.. the 150 IS pretty small...

as far as tower speakers go, i had 4 in total polk audio bullet speakers on my C180.

You can mount the 10" sub near the side of the steering column, and a 6.5" on the bottom of the rear facing seat ( near the floor).
    get completely water proof speakers.

Amp, you can mount it in the front hood, either on the top, or (im uncertain if the bucket takes out) somewhere in there. pretty high up.

as far as the last 6.5" speaker you wanted.. no idea where you can mount that. but so far thats 3 speakers and the sub woofer.

I agree, its going to murder your battery, and a second "dedicated" one wont help that much.

Personally when i was rigging my stuff, i kept it to the 2 stock speakers + 4 tower ones. no amp.

Newer C-180's have 4 speakers ( 2 infront). so im sure the battery manages to power 6 for hours without an amp.

hope i helped.

Ok thank you for the help.

+1
    It doesn't matter the size of the battery. It is the lack of power from the charging system. For general conversation, lets say the seadoo charging system puts out 25 amps. Now, the boat requires let's say 20 amps to run the motor and all the factory electronics. That leaves you with 5 amps for your stereo and amplifier... Now lets say your stereo and amplifier need 15 amps to work properly.

That leaves in you in the whole by negative 10amps... No matter how big of a battery, if the charging system can't provide the power, the battery will never charge and you will MELT charging system components and have drive ability issues..

Trust me, I have 3 customers right now fighting this battle.

These are not like a car where you can run down to auto zone and get a bigger alternator......

Banned User
    +1
    How would operating the stereo on a separate isolated deep cycle battery thats not connected to the charging system work for this?

+1
    Ok, but you would have to charge the battery after every use of the boat. And if you trickle charge a battery, you won't be able to use it 2days in a row. It would take to long to charge

I am planning on running a dual battery system but sounds like I should scale down the system some. Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    You could do a dual battery if you isolate the extra one from the starting battery.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Not sure about the JL's but most polk speakers are marine certified. Installed them on many boats and was very happy with the performance.

Many of the points raised here have some truth. Typical boats have much larger automotive style alternators and stators. I would research the output of the stator on the 225 hp engine and maybe compare it to the actual draw on the battery with the engine running.

I think it is likley you could run a small, high efficency amplifier for the speakers as they draw a small amount. The issue is the sub would deaw alot. In an open enviorment, you need alot of power and bass to replicate even a bit of what you might find in the closed enviroment in a car. Several manufactures make marine subs that are waterproof as well as efficient. I would however focus your effort on good vocals.

Best of luck on your install.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information