2012 Yamaha FX HO oil check

Looks like I will be picking up the jet ski soon. Is there a dipstick to check oil level? Just making sure dealer has oil in there, etc before taking for a test drive on the lake.

Also, do I need to have the CF number in order to ride away? I am in Calif. I am guessing the dealer sells the numbers? This is my 4th jet ski but all had been used.

Thanks,

tntrac
    Last edited by tractng; 02-24-2013 at 11:10 PM.

+1
    The oil stick is to the front side under the reverse handle. It's a black rubber stopper top located to the front of the intake.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tractng View Post
    Looks like I will be picking up the jet ski soon. Is there a dipstick to check oil level? Just making sure dealer has oil in there, etc before taking for a test drive on the lake.

Also, do I need to have the CF number in order to ride away? I am in Calif. I am guessing the dealer sells the numbers? This is my 4th jet ski but all had been used.

Thanks,

tntrac
    Ohhhh, find a ski? Sweet, congrats!

As was said, the dipstick is at the front right corner of the engine, no need to run or warm up first just make sure the ski is level and check it like you would a car. Check out the break-in procedure in the manual and change the oil after the initial 10 hours. Good luck!

+1
    Congrats on the new ski! I would let the engine run for a short time before checking the oil, you don't want to overfill it, will give ya a more accurate reading.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire View Post
    Congrats on the new ski! I would let the engine run for a short time before checking the oil, you don't want to overfill it, will give ya a more accurate reading.
    The 1.8L isn't like the 1052cc MR-1, with the previous HO motor you had to make sure the oil was warm before checking otherwise it would report low and people would overfill it. The 1.8L has a different oil system and doesn't need to be run first, in fact the manual says that if it's been running then to make sure it sits for at least 5 minutes before checking the oil level.

The hashmark section on the dipstick represents 1L of oil, too, so that's a helpful reference.

Thread Information