2008 Yamaha FX SHO . 94 hours Question,, need advice

Hey guys i have found a 2008 Yamaha Sho fx in Georgia with 94 hours on it, it looks good,, I think I can get it for 6500 dollars,, what are your guys thoughts on the ski,, does the supercharger have to be rebuilt like seadoos,, can the supercharger "break" like seadoos and blow up the engine or will it give way or what,, I am very knowledged on Seadoos and was going to look at a 120 hour 2007 Rxt seadoo this week for 6000, but this yamaha popped up and I am trying to decide between the two,, I'm not brand partial,, and am not going to mod, I just want a low maintenance ski, didn't know if its tip for tap between the two or what,, just not familiar with the supercharger Yamaha, thanks in advance for the help.

Colour/Production Copier Tech wazza's Avatar
    Get the SHO mate!

Have the same one and its awesome!

Oh, and No.... the SC does not need regular rebuilding. Just ride it hard my friend!

+1
    I believe the Yamaha FX SHO, will be the faster of the two & by far ... the most reliable

+1
    get the fx sho , id look for one with less hours but thats just me , if its been looked after and ridin normaly then yeh go for it , ive got one and its awesome

+1
    There is no maintenance on the SC. 100 hours is nothing if it has been maintained and rode regularly. '09 with only 100 hours is only 25 hours a year. Use a mirror. And look carefully at the underneath side of the engine for corrosion, motor mounts should not look cracked. Pitting on the SC is pretty normal because they get so hot. Test ride it. Should not cavitate or vibrate and the steering should be medium tight without too much play. If it has been sitting awhile then check the oil and smell the gas. Make sure the oil looks clean and clear and the gas isn't sour.

You are on the Yami part of the forum so everyone here will tell you go Yami and when you post on SD everyone there will tell you go SD. Ride them and make your judgement. I do rough calcuations of retail minus $2K for first year and minus $1K for every year after. That gives you a rough idea of used price. Hours doesn't mean as much as maintenance to me. Seen skis with 20 hours that were rotten. Mine has a lot of hours and is like new.

+1
    I just recently picked up an '08 FX Cruiser SHO with 125 hours, well maintained and clean inside. Some dings here and there but nothing out of the ordinary for a 5 year old ski. Was only used in freshwater and runs like a top, though to get it on my schedule I replaced the oil, oil filter and spark plugs a couple of weeks ago. If you can get it for $6500 then that's a good deal even if it's not a cruiser.

I bought another Yamaha because I like the way they're designed and they're reliable. If something needs to be fixed then it's not always going to be a pain to do as there's plenty of open access. I looked at some Sea-Doos and it just looks like you need monkey hands to get in there to do anything, plus it's another mfr to learn. I'm sure Sea-Doos are fine, they're just outside my comfort zone because I usually do any mechanical work on our stuff if there's no warranty left.

If you like the FX then go for it, great hull and powerplant.

+1
    That is a good deal at 6.5k and I would be only concerned with test riding it and making sure the supercharger engages and not have a bad clutch. Basically if you can get it mid 60's you're good. How is the hull interior and overall condition? All cables good? Does it have both remotes? When last serviced? Check the oil filter condition for rust around the lip. Make sure on the trailer that both the oil cooler and intercooler outlets are flowing clear before riding. Make sure the bilge pump comes on. The SHO skis are great and require less maintenance than Seadoo. Last one I remember listing for 6.5 sold that same day on Craigslist, but had less hours.

I'm planning on going and looking at it tommorow . I will fill you guys in..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jongurley View Post
    Hey guys i have found a 2008 Yamaha Sho fx in Georgia with 94 hours on it, it looks good,, I think I can get it for 6500 dollars,, what are your guys thoughts on the ski,, does the supercharger have to be rebuilt like seadoos,, can the supercharger "break" like seadoos and blow up the engine or will it give way or what,, I am very knowledged on Seadoos and was going to look at a 120 hour 2007 Rxt seadoo this week for 6000, but this yamaha popped up and I am trying to decide between the two...
    The hull on the RXT is excellent, fantastic in the chop; but your concerns about the supercharger are valid on that model. They used ceramic clutch washers on that model; when those things let go the bits go into your oil pumps and can lead to a catastrophic failure. BRP also had some questionable valve stems in those days; if you drop a valve on a 4 stroke you are looking at a major expense; the parts alone cost a small fortune. In my experience you will be better off with the Yamaha, plus you will get great performance on regular grade fuel.

Thread Information