+1

Looking at a 1999 Kawasaki STX 1100, common problems?

I always hate to start these threads, but this community has been kind to me in the past. As part of a package deal I'm looking at a '99 STX 1100 (along with a 2000 XP 951 and a dual trailer). I know what to look out for with the Sea Doo, but I really don't know anything at all about Kawasakis. I've asked the seller how many hours are on the machine; is there a typical number of hours you can get before you have to overhaul the engine? Are there any common problems with this model/engine? Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the add says it occasionally boggs out, but I'm assuming I'd just need to rebuild the carbs
    Last edited by Ryguy425425; 02-25-2013 at 06:43 PM.

+1
    A top overhaul is typically required at around 200 hours. The oil lines should be replaced with polyurethane hose because the original hose will likely be brittle and may crack. There are two hoses that go to the front cover to provide cooling for the stator. This area will plug easily if the 'Ski picks up trash. Remove one of the hoses and gently blow through it to check for blockage.

The driveshaft seal on the back of the engine, where it passes through the hull, can split and leak. You'll have to put it in the water to check it.

Otherwise, the STX is a pretty solid all-around boat. It's easy for newbies to ride and a great touring machine.

+1
    Be aware that the 1999 models have CV carbs - MUCH more difficult to get to work correctly than the early Keihin carbs

+1
    Some people have had trouble with the CV carbs. I've got 2 'Skis that have them and no troubles at all.

One thing for sure, avoid the early DI (direct injection) models like the plague!

Banned User
    +1
    What were the problems with the DI models? I have a Polaris DI machine that was the same system the Kawis used.

Edit: For those of you with DI systems, there is everything you would ever need to know about them in the Polaris section. Kawi used the same Ficht direct injection system Polaris used.
    Last edited by Mr. Matrix; 02-27-2013 at 08:22 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    What were the problems with the DI models? I have a Polaris DI machine that was the same system the Kawis used.

Edit: For those of you with DI systems, there is everything you would ever need to know about them in the Polaris section. Kawi used the same Ficht direct injection system Polaris used.

It's common for one of the cooling hoses that runs from the stator cover to the EMM to get clogged, the EMM overheats, than needs to get rebuilt for $650
    Granted, that's not a problem that's directly associated with the DI system, but to even diagnose problems with the DI systems, you need to build your own diagnostic cable since they don't sell them anymore, have a laptop that runs Win95/98 in order to use the KADIAG software which is hardly even supported anymore....

Personally I'd prefer a good ol' carbed or FI'd engine to work on.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post

It's common for one of the cooling hoses that runs from the stator cover to the EMM to get clogged, the EMM overheats, than needs to get rebuilt for $650
    Granted, that's not a problem that's directly associated with the DI system, but to even diagnose problems with the DI systems, you need to build your own diagnostic cable since they don't sell them anymore, have a laptop that runs Win95/98 in order to use the KADIAG software which is hardly even supported anymore....

Personally I'd prefer a good ol' carbed or FI'd engine to work on.

You can run the DOS based KADIAG with a program called Dosbox on any operating system. At least it works with the Polaris PODIAG version. I will be running a pisser for my EMM cooling line to be able to know its always flowing water. Cables are pretty easy to make. In the Polaris section you can make a simple LED tool to read codes, should work on the Kawis too. I personally think the DI's are great once you work out the bugs.

+1
    Dammit I didn't know about that dosbox software when I was diagnosing mine
    I already made the cable, and attempted the LED trick with mine, but nothing seemed to work for me. I guess cuz the EMM was already fried. I'll try them again since I got a new EMM now and see if I did them correctly.
    And I already did the pisser mod, super easy to do and really eases your mind to see the EMM is getting cooled.

9. +1 by:

+1
    GREAT INFO! Thanks for posting!

Thread Information